What's new

life span of an rptv (1 Viewer)

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a Hitachi 51f500 and am wondering what the lifespan in on one of these sets?

I am asking in general terms. The sales guy said they last as long as a tube television, but I wanted to know for sure

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Rule of thumb: A salesperson will tell you what he or she thinks you want to hear.

Generally, RPTVs are not as rugged as their direct-view counterparts. But if you calibrate it correctly and run the unit for reasonable stretches at a time, it should last a long enough time.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
John,

i just bought the same set. How do you like it. Im thrilled with the picture quality. DVD's have never looked so good.

Have you calibrated it yet. I ran VE and found that even with just a quick calibration, the picture quality is awesome. I hope to have it ISF'd in about 3-4 months.

Earle

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
Just out of curiousity, after you calibrated it, what did your contrast and brightness come out being? I am planning on calibrating it soon, but I haven't gotten the disk yet, so I am interested at what you have those set at.

I do love the picture!!!!! DVD's look great

After looking at color temp, I almost prefer it hot, not sure though

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Just out of curiousity, after you calibrated it, what did your contrast and brightness come out being? I am planning on calibrating it soon, but I haven't gotten the disk yet, so I am interested at what you have those set at.
Until you calibrate turn down the contrast till at least have of max. Then use the brightness to increase if to dark. COntrast/Picture is the setting that can lead to burn-in issues.

Kevin

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
John

I use the standard color setting, and use movie mode for both Directv and DVD. I have SVM shut off.

My contrast-33
brightness-53
color-31
sharpness-31

The picture seems slightly red sometimes so I have been lowering the color slightly. VE told me that the color setting should be 34, but 31 looks better to me. After I get Gregg Lowen to calibrate my set, im sure the picture will be even better.

Good luck with your 51F500, keep us posted.

Earle

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
We've had a Pioneer (SD-P453P??) 45" going on 14 years now. One major repair (power supply). The picture still looks great.

Longing for HD, but will probably wait until this one croaks.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Patrick,

I was concerned about that, but that is the number that VE worked out to be. I just knocked it down to 40. Ill run another VE calibraion later today.

Earle

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
well, 53 may sound high, but on the hitachi, that is out of 100,not 60 as in some sets. I finally set my color temp to medium, standard just looks ugly

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
I also read that as long as those two settings, contrast and brightness were under fifty percent of total then it was ok.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Brightness set high isn't a problem; on a lot of sets the optimum brightness setting is around 50-60%. It's Contrast that needs to be kept down in the 30-40% range. Brightness actually sets black level; contrast sets white level. Set brightness too low and you'll lose shadow detail; set it too high and your blacks will be gray.

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
I too have heard brightness is not the big culprit to burn in or short life span.

The other night when watching star wars episode II or x men, I can't remember, I ran the thx optimizer and it said my brightness should be almost sixty percent. Until t hat high, I could not read the thx logo in the brightness test

Users who are viewing this thread