What's new

Life span of a Plasma/LCD screen. (1 Viewer)

Robert Vaclav

Auditioning
What is the life span of a plasma or LCD or DLP screen. I realize that they haven't been around that long, however I would like a rough estimate so I can figure out if its worth buying an extended service contract on it.
thanks.

Rich H

Second Unit
Plasma life has been estimated by the major plasma manufacturers to be between 25,000 to 35,000 hours. Basically, considering typical home use, that puts plasma life span up there with a typical CRT tube set. I've heard that estimates for the latest generation of plasmas now arriving is considerably higher.

Regarding life span of LCD, DLP, I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression they will sort of "last forever" (i.e. a long, long time...longer than any CRT device). The issues with those are life-span of the bulb, which have to be replaced at some points. There have been quite a lot of gripes regarding some DLPs, with recent owners having dying bulbs very soon (highlighting some manufacturer defect).

That's all I know.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

With LCD projectors ... you have to deal with panel warpage and discolouration over time.

Regards

LCD front or rear projection?

I just got back from purchasing a Hitachi 50V500 LCD RPTV and I'd like to know to if its going to age poorly compared to DLP RPTVs.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
For Plasmas, Rich is right, the time to half brightness (considered the end of its lifespan) for most manufacturers is generally 25k-35k hours. Some quick math (divide hours by # of hours per day, divided by 365 days) will give you an exact estimate based on the manufacturer's numbers. This # of hours is often overblown into like 3 years by uninformed salepeople. Realistically, it's really about the same as a CRT. Some of the newer models have been quoted 45k, if I recall correctly.

Robert Vaclav

Auditioning
thank's for the info. I am looking at a flat (or near flat) panel TV for the long haul. I like the resolution on the DLP but if it doesn't last any longer or give truly a better picture I won't go for it at the prices that I've seen. I see the HDTV LCD as the best picture quality at my local circuit city, but they say that the picture that I see is not a true HD signal. The Sony seems to be the brightest and sharpest.

Q. Will the brightness affect its life span over others?

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly half brightness is supposed to be the end of its useful lifespan. Realistically, I see it as become a RPTV at that point - it would still be fine, you would just need a more controlled light environment. I don't think anyone has had one long enough to really judge.

Users who are viewing this thread