Life of Brian Reissue?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Bardon, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Just looking up the release for the Meaning of Life SE, and saw an Aug. 26 release for Life of Brian. Is this a new disc, a rerelease of an old one? Any technical details (amazon.ca is pretty sparse on details).

Even if it is just an old disc, it's a great opportunity to get the movie for less than Criterion prices.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You could always get the movie for sub-Criterion prices. I have the Anchor Bay release on my shelf, though I keep meaning to upgrade to Criterion

3. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

While the CC is pricey, it does have some great features that any Python Maniac will love. However, if your not a huge fan of the group or this film, the Anchor Bay release should hold you over.

4. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

On a releatd topic, anybody know what's new in the Holy Grail "Collectors Edition" that releases 9/16?

5. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Nothing. It is the standard Warners style repackaging with a film cell, and a script. Otherwise it is the same release as before.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I have the Criterion version and I have no complaints apart from the less than spectacular sound quality (my old LD's PCM is just slightly better....the source track never was that good after all) and the rather dirty print they used....not all that bad however.

One factor in Criterion's favor may be for widescreen TV owners, Is the Anchor Bay version 16:9 enhanced?

7. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    To answer your question, Kevin, no it is not. I suggest that if you love this film, buy the Criterion. It is the best way to experience the film on DVD.

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I didn't think it was, so that may help a few people on the fence as to which version to buy...if they care about 16:9 enhancement at all that is.

The extras alone are enough for me to recommend the Criterion version (I love the radio spots..."Hello, I am Murial Cleese and I live in a nice elderly peoples home, I do hope you go see my son John's new film Life Of Brian because he's on a percentage and he tells me that if it doesn't do well he won't be able to keep me on in the home any longer. Please go and see it now because I'm 102 years old and if I have to leave here it'll kill me. {announcer} Please keep Mrs. Cleese alive and go see Life of Brian..."[​IMG]).

9. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Not to drag up an old thread, but what's this Anchor Bay edition coming out on Tuesday? A new transfer, or an old re-issue?

10. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Haven't seen a listing for this....
    ANchor Bay is releasing a Divimax version of Time Bandits.

11. Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg Stunt Coordinator

Just a little quibble about the Criterion version, while it is anamorphic it's only 1.78:1, the movie was filmed in 1.85:1. The Anchor Bay version, as has already been noted, is not anamorphic but is 1.85:1. So if there is a new version coming out hopefully it'll be 1.85 anamorphic.