What's new

Life of Brian...comparison between Criterion and Anchor Bay releases (1 Viewer)

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I have a friend at work who wants to get Life of Brian. I've got the Anchor Bay version (it was the only one I could find when I got it). Can anyone point me to a comparison of the Criterion and Anchor Bay discs so I can tell her which to get? (I might also upgrade if it looks justified)

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
Isn't Anchor Bay releasing their own special edition later in the year? After the theatrical re-release?

Andrew

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Then I stand corrected. I thought all the Anchor Bay/Criterion releases were identical transfers up until the new Time Bandits came out.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I myself upgraded solely for the 16:9 transfer. I think it's worth it if you have a 16:9 set, but obviously there's a big price difference.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
I've got 'em both; the Criterion for the extras and the Anchor Bay for the correct aspect ration (1.85:1, the Criterion disc is in 1.78:1 but is also anamorphic).

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
You honestly keep an extra copy for that little 1.77:1->1.85:1 difference? It's not really that big of a deal when you work overscan into it.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I suspect it also just means there's a little less matting involved. The Criterion high-def transfer was completely supervised and approved by the director Terry Jones.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I bought the Criterion before the AB release came out. However, given the choice now I would still go with the Criterion release due to the amount of extras on the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks