What's new

Life-Extending Chemical Is Found in Certain Red Wines (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
From New York Times:

August 24, 2003

Life-Extending Chemical Is Found in Certain Red Wines

By NICHOLAS WADE

Biologists have found a class of chemicals that they hope will make people live longer by activating an ancient survival reflex. One of the chemicals, a natural substance known as resveratrol, is found in red wines, particularly those made in cooler climates like that of New York.

The finding could help explain the so-called French paradox, the fact that the French live as long as anyone else despite consuming fatty foods deemed threatening to the heart.
Complete story here.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ripple was one of those sweetish wines like MadDog (Mogan David 20/20). They were best drunk out of a paper sack, while sitting on a curb. As for the hippie connection, I’ve heard that itwent well with the ‘munchies’. :D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Thanks! I'll stay away from the stuff. I wonder if it is cheaper than bottled water? Oh wait. Everything is!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well there's a new story in the NYT about how the red wine component activates a protein that patches broke DNA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/health/27aging.html

Dr. Sinclair has been taking large daily doses of resveratrol since he and others discovered five years ago that it activated sirtuin. “I’m still taking it, and I feel great,” he said, “but it’s too early to say if I’m young for my age.”

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have nothing constructive to add except I misread the thread title and thought it was Life-Extending Chemical Is Found in Certain Red Wires. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks