Life As A House= OAR???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by CraigL, Sep 12, 2003.

1. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Hey all,

Just wondering if "Life As A House" is presented in its original aspect ratio anywhere in the world. In a very "recruit-like" move, they cropped the picture for the home video release and I was wondering if it were possible to find this anywhere in its proper aspect ratio.

Thanks...

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

2.00:1 is the proper aspect ratio.

Its not about theatrical aspect ratio. It is about original intended aspect ratio.

And The Recruit was released to DVD after Life As A House.

Other films presented in their original intended aspect ratios on DVD are Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery and Apocalypse Now/Apocalypse Now Redux,

3. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Yeah, but at least with Austin Powers, all Jay Roach did was add vertical information to the frame. It's not the theatrical aspect ratio, but at least we're not missing out on anything.

Life As a House on the other hand crops the sides of the frame. It's essentially P&S, the only difference being the ratio is roughly 2.10:1 instead or 1.33:1. And what's really bizarre is that the supplements on the DVD feature clips from the movie in 2.35:1.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

5. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

7. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I spoke with LIFE AS A HOUSE cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond during location scouting for JERSEY GIRL, and his preference for slight side cropping on his 'Scope films (which amounts to almost every film he's shot, really) came up, and his explanation was that he simply didn't like 2.35:1 letterboxing on video. He felt that 2:1 (or 2.1:1 or whatever) kept all of the "important" visual information intact without the need for panning-and-scanning while at the same time lessening the size of the letterbox mattes.

He NEVER said that 2:1 was the "intended" aspect ratio, just that he felt it was an acceptable compromise for home video presentation. I was on the set of JERSEY GIRL, which he also shot in anamorphic, and can confirm that the video tap monitors showed a 2.35:1 frame, NOT a 2:1 frame.

As for why the clips in the documentaries would be 2.35:1, those docs are usually made well before the final video transfer for the movie is done, and probably used clips telecined without Zsigmond's involvment. Thus, they would contain the full 2.35:1 frame. The "video dailies" for JERSEY GIRL that were used for the AVID edit are all 2.35:1 letterboxed, too, but given Zsigmond's preferences for home video, I'd imagine the final DVD version will be closer to 2:1.

Vincent