Life after the B4...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Doran, Jan 30, 2003.

1. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

well, i got my B4 yesterday afternoon, and have been struggling to recover ever since i threw on some scenes from various bass-heavy movies before i had to run back to work.

it's too early for me to give any particularly critical observations about the sub, but i can tell you that it's an absolutely gorgeous piece of audio equipment (mine has a luxuriant mahogany stain). and that it's big.

oh, and that the bass is utterly fathomless. without end. seriously.

the beauty of it is that not only did it make me feel like a chasm had opened up beneath my feet when the leviathan from disney's "atlantis" swam by (over, and over, and over again...), but the precision of its control, its dare-i-say "delicacy", allowed me to hear the pick on the string of a bass-guitar for the first time in one of my favorite songs.

i'm afraid that in the end i am going to lack the critical vocabulary to give voice to the sort of praise the B4 deserves - fast, accurate, taut, clean, articulate, deep, loud are, in my opinion, part of a tired audio vernacular that has come to mean relatively little. maybe the greatest testament to the quality of the B4 will be that it forces people to come up with a new language of acclaim for what can be only the handful of audio gear that occupy this rarefied class.

sorry for waxing lyrical....

- jd

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

How about some pics

3. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

frank,

that's funny - i read your signature line "sticking feathers..." before i saw your actual post and was struggling to understand what you meant when i finally looked up a line...

anyway. good idea. i actually just got a digital camera - maybe i'll give it a shot.

truth be told, i'm a little embarrased about my piece-of-shit 27" TV....

upgrading is a slow business.

- jd

4. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

what i would give to be your neighbor....i'd probably be over at your house more often then my own.

5. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

well, khoa, i really hope my neighbours share your sentiments, or i could be in trouble.

but seriously, for whatever reason, despite the fact that i live in an apartment, i have yet to get a complaint, even yesterday when my friend and i went at it for about an hour non-stop with 100db+ bass (U571, jurassic park 2 and 3, atlantis, gladiator, final fantasy, LOTR, episode 1...you name it).

maybe they're scared.

- jd

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I really want to see some pics of this sub other than the way to small pics that SVS has shown us!

7. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

John, I suspect they think it's an earthquake LOL Or can't figure out where it is coming from it is very hard to tell on deep bass. My neighbour thought there was something nuts going on with his water pipes when I was watching LOTR he couldn't figure out what it was!

8. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I am not speaking to you !

9. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

There's no need to be embarrassed about a 27" TV...You've got a B4 sitting there!!!

10. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

11. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

OK,

We give. The first of several pics from our photo studio. A couple more (PB1-ISD) are on our News page for any that care to look. More to come with the debut of full order pages late this weekend.

[​IMG]

John, thanks for the teaser, well done!

Ron

12. Khoa Tran

dang, my new coffee table...

13. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

John, what was the grand total of the B4 and its component additions? (what did you get besides the sub) shipping must be brutal[​IMG] I love my svs but damn, that thing looks sweet!

14. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I dont mind the tube lets see. . . Great Sound and Good Looks or is it Good Looks and Great Sound. . . . Now hire a couple mud wrestlers and bring it on. . .

15. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

It's funny, you look at the picture and you think "I doesn't look so big or dangerous." Then I realize that that's a 12 inch driver I'm looking at and (a) it looks like a 5 incher compared to the panel and (b) there are, if I'm not mistaken, another three of them, and (c) they are driven by an amp that could power a small town and (d) Ron and Tom are manics, and then I get a little afraid of the thing. Not so afraid that I wouldn't plop it down in the corner of my room, mind you. After all, a man has got to rise above his fears. [​IMG]

16. Khoa Tran

AHem, that thing is as big as the desk my computer is sitting on right now....that's big because i have to take this desk apart before it could fit through the door.

17. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I don't know, I get sort of a primal feeling seeing this sub and feel like beating my chest but no one would be able to hear this compared to the thump the sub puts out...

18. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

John,

What are you using to power the B4?

19. Bill Law

Bill Law Stunt Coordinator

Is there any way to control the crossover to start real low like 22hz, instead of 40hz? For those that have truly fullrange mains?
    Thanks

20. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Bill,

Assuming you are running in a 5.1 setup, just set your mains to large and go forward.

If not, I'd still suggest a higher crossover frequency, like say 40-50Hz. Although your mains might have a -3dB point of 20Hz or fairly close to it, it is unlikely that in that last octave they are capable of the same output as they are above the last octave.

Just a thought.

Regards,