HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Martin Dew

LG's First 4K UHD Projector Wins Big on Awards at CES
LG-4K-UHD-Projector_HU80K_0-1024x576.jpg

LG Electronics was honored with more than 90 awards at CES across several categories, but the LG 4K UHD HU80K projector received accolades from 9 to 5 Toys, the Consumer Technology Association (CTA), and Twice. LG's first 4K UHD projector received the prestigious CES Best of Innovation award for 'delivering ultra-sharp video with a home cinema experience in a compact, beautiful design'.

LG states that projectors have traditionally been heavy, expensive and cumbersome to install in the home, but its first entry into the market consists of a free-standing, portable device which can be placed on the floor, mounted on a wall, or hang from a ceiling. It includes a carrying handle and 'Auto Cord' feature, and the Mirror Reflector acts as a lens cover to protect the PJ from dust when stored away. Furthermore, the unit incorporates two 7W speakers negating the need for external speakers or a soundbar, although this latter feature will unlikely have our readers drooling.

LG-4K-UHD-Projector_HU80K_2-300x169.jpg

No price info has been offered by LG just yet, but we are assured by the company that it will be 'easier on the wallet'. The HU80K can create a 150-inch diagonal size image with 2,500 lumens of brightness, while HDR 10 is also supported.

Consumers will have access to content via the projector's webOS 3.5 smart TV interface for popular streaming services, and connectivity includes ports for USB, Ethernet and HDMI, as well as wireless support for external devices, such as keyboard and mouse.

At CES in Las Vegas, Chang Ik-hwan, head of LG's IT business division said,"...we are excited to bring value to our consumers with our first 4K UHD projector, which delivers the highest resolution we've ever offered in a compact size. LG's 4K UHD projector will lead the way in changing how consumers view 4K content in any room in the home, wherever there's an audience."

LG-4K-UHD-Projector_HU80K_1-300x169.jpg

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Love this little guy with the big laser light output, UHD/HDR capability and webOS 3.5 Smart apps.

Look forward to our 1st allocation that is scheduled for end of March.

Alberto_D

BANNED
Looks portable, project the image by very close distance and near ground, reducing the chances to someone look direct to the light beam source and damage the eyes. But there is risk to tip/fall. Not a good idea in a house with children, dogs etc....

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
After much debate with LG we were able to convince them to include a ceiling mount with the new HU80K Laser projector. The projector can also be used in three floor or tabletop positions.

Reactions: PMF

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes on the pricing, but LG has a moratorium on announcing it. No H/V lens shift.

So this is why I ask Robert. By virtue of it being laser I assume it is going to be expensive. By virtue of it being short throw I have no idea how a ceiling mount could or should work. But it's LG, so maybe it's NOT as ridiculously priced as the Sony and JVCs?

Many of us are in the market for a 4K HDR projector that doesn't break the bank. Could something like this tide me over in my theater if I take the screen down, plop this guy in front of our seats, and project on bare walls? Could somehow we magically make this unit, which has no shift controls, fit to existing fixed screens while projecting from the floor?

It sounds crazy, but in the absence of an affordable, high brightness, true 4K HDR projector I'm willing to think outside the box a bit.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Sorry no 3D. Ceiling mountable, yes. Short throw, no, it's a normal focal length lens.

The only other Ultra thing about this very nice Ultra HD laser projector is the Ultra low price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks