What's new

LG Unveils Futuristic 2018 TV Lineup (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
LG UNVEILS FUTURISTIC 2018 TV LINEUP​

WITH ADVANCED DISPLAY TECHNOLOGY AT CES 2018​

LG Delivers Next-Level AI and Viewing Experiences to the Living Room with Innovative 2018 LG OLED and LG SUPER UHD TVs

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 8, 2018 — At CES® 2018, LG Electronics USA will unveil its full line of 2018 LG AI OLED and LG AI SUPER UHD TVs for the United States, show- casing LG’s latest portfolio of premium TVs. This year’s lineup adds key innovations,

including LG ThinQ® artificial intelligence, the new α (Alpha) 9 intelligent processor and Full-Array Local Dimming (FALD) backlighting, which bring added convenience

and more immersive picture qualities to the home cinema.

In 2018, LG builds upon its legacy as the pioneer of OLED TV technology with the ad- dition of nine new 4K LG AI OLED TVs in different design configurations and sizes, ranging from 55- to 77-inches. New in 2018, LG will also introduce seven new 4K LG AI SUPER UHD TV models, ranging in size from 55- to 75-inches.

“LG’s 2018 TV lineup represents the next generation entertainment experience in the connected home,” said Tim Alessi, senior director, product marketing for home enter- tainment at LG Electronics USA. “By marrying cinema-quality display technology with LG ThinQ artificial intelligence in breathtaking form factors, LG continues its leader- ship at the forefront of innovation in the OLED and premium TV market globally.”

Smarter TVs with Seamless Connectivity to the Modern Smart Home

New for all 2018 LG AI Smart TVs, including LG OLED and LG SUPER UHD TVs, LG introduces ThinQ artificial intelligence, enabling the implementation of hundreds of voice requests utilizing webOS, LG’s own award-winning open smart platform, as well as third-party AI services. LG ThinQ combines the simple and fast webOS Smart TV platform with integrated Google Assistant and deep learning technology to create an AI capability that uses voice commands to control TV functions, search for content over- the-air or on various streaming partners, or control other connected IoT devices in the network. LG’s full 2018 4K UHD TV lineup is equipped with the 2018 ThinQ AI, mak- ing them a seamless addition to any connected home.

LG’s 2018 TV lineup also features webOS, the upgraded Smart TV platform that makes switching between content options – including broadcast TV, streaming services and ex- ternal devices – simple and fast. With the Magic Remote and uniquely refined launcher bar, dive into a limitless world of premium content – including 4K streaming and HDR – from the most popular entertainment providers.

Intelligent Processing for the Ultimate Viewing Experience

With LG’s α (Alpha) 9 intelligent processor powering the LG SIGNATURE OLED W8, LG OLED E8 and LG OLED C8, viewers will experience enhanced image rendering and more accurate color from virtually any viewing angle in addition to OLED’s hall- mark perfect black levels. Combined with Dolby Atmos sound and the 2018 LG OLED lineup’s picture quality, this year’s TVs will provide consumers a heightened viewing experience sure to fully immerse them in any scene.

The 2018 LG SUPER UHD lineup is powered by LG’s α (Alpha) 7, the same powerful processor found in the LG OLED B8. By combining Nano Cell, FALD backlighting and the α (Alpha) 7 processor, LG’s 2018 SK9500 and SK9000 LG SUPER UHD AI TVs offer LG’s most advanced LCD picture quality ever. To complement the upgraded viewing experience, 2018 LG SUPER UHD AI TVs will also add the support of Dolby Atmos for an immersive audiovisual experience.

Unmatched HDR Capabilities for Superior Image Optimization

Building upon LG’s legacy of delivering a superior high dynamic range (HDR) viewing experience, all 2018 LG OLED and LG SUPER UHD AI TVs will feature 4K Cinema HDR, enabling the support of all major HDR formats, including Dolby Vision, newly added Advanced HDR by Technicolor, Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) and HDR10, as well as enhanced processing with HLG Pro and HDR 10 Pro, granting consumers even greater access to the full spectrum of high-quality HDR content available today. LG’s 2018 AI OLED TVs and AI SUPER UHD TVs process HDR images dynamically frame by frame using LG’s proprietary algorithm, Enhanced Dynamic Tone mapping.

2018 LG OLED TV Lineup

LG SUPER UHD TV Lineup

www.LG.com

page3image261771632

LG SIGNATURE AI OLED TV Picture-on-Wall W8 Series
77-inch class (76.7-inches diagonal) model 77W8
65-inch class (64.5-inches diagonal) model 65W8

LG AI OLED TV Picture-on-Glass E8 Series

65-inch class (64.5-inches diagonal) model 65E8 55-inch class (54.6-inches diagonal) model 55E8

LGAIOLEDTVC8Series

65-inch class (64.5-inches diagonal) model 65C8 55-inch class (54.6-inches diagonal) model 55C8

LG AI OLED TV B8 Series

65-inch class (64.5-inches diagonal) model 65B8 55-inch class (54.6-inches diagonal) model 55B8

page3image261815760
page3image261816032

LG AI SUPER UHD TV SK9500

65-inch class (64.5-inches diagonal) model 65SK9500 55-inch class (54.6-inches diagonal) model 55SK9500

LG AI SUPER UHD TV SK9000

65-inch class (64.5-inches diagonal) model 65SK9000 55-inch class (54.6-inches diagonal) model 55SK9000

LG AI SUPER UHD TV SK8000

75-inch class (74.5-inches diagonal) model 75SK800 65-inch class (64.5-inches diagonal) model 65SK8000 55-inch class (54.6-inches diagonal) model 55SK8000

page3image261853456

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Worthless without the excellent 3D they used to have. No reason not to include it in these.
Perhaps its worthless to you as a 3-D proponent that doesn't think 4K is good enough unless it has 3-D. Which has never been part of the 4K/UHD specifications. Anyhow, I don't subscribe to your line of thinking and wish people would stop bad-mouthing 4K/UHD.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I will NEVER accept that. If it’s true, then my interest in all of this stuff is dead. 3D was always the thing I wished would happen, it finally DID come out and if the industry is going to kill it after having unreasonable expectations and generally lousy marketing, I can no longer support them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will NEVER accept that. If it’s true, then my interest in all of this stuff is dead. 3D was always the thing I wished would happen, it finally DID come out and if the industry is going to kill it after having unreasonable expectations and generally lousy marketing, I can no longer support them.
Well, that's your choice to make and I'm sorry you feel that way as I'm not in this hobby to support the industry perse. I invested in this hobby to enjoy all kinds of movies even those that are only in 2-D which has always been about 99% of them.:)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy plenty of 2D movies but believe if they’re shown in theaters in 3D then that’s how they should be seen at home. I am not bad-mouthing 4K either- while I think it was a big mistake for the disc format not to include 3D, the equipment I have now can still support it AND also show 3D blu-rays.

I waited DECADES for 3D to get this good, and the industry had unreasonably high expectations for its success. At the same time it isn’t like NOBODY wanted it either, and now we’re left with the possibility of having it taken away if our current sets die. This already happened to my friend, who had his LG TV replaced under warranty with a 2D-only one. He is certainly not very happy with the industry right now.

The thing is this is the FIRST innovation to come along that’s now trying to be killed off. The only other comparison is quadraphonic sound in the 70s, and even then you could rig later equipment to play that with a bit of thought. I have over 300 3D discs right now, and even if no more are ever made any display I get should be able to show them properly. Anything else is NOT an upgrade unless it has something REALLY special to make up for it, and I honestly don’t know what that would be.

LG did 3D better than anyone else, which is why most enthusiasts are so upset with them in particular. As this post essentially reads like an advertisement from them, I have to voice my objection- if I didn’t that would be the same as saying I think it’s OK. What do they suggest I do with all the 3D movies I bought anyways? Throw them away?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have to voice my objection- if I didn’t that would be the same as saying I think it’s OK. What do they suggest I do with all the 3D movies I bought anyways? Throw them away?

You can voice your objections directly to the manufacturer. Repeatedly posting them in every forum topic where the feature is not included is likely to have those posts removed because they will have no effect on manufacturers decisions and elevate the drama needlessly here.

Alberto_D

BANNED
It's the burn in effect still something dangereous or a big concern today as people said 1 or 2 years ago ?
What 's the chance to get burn in on screen if watch some movies with black bars, or use as a monitor or web surfing ?

Once a burn in is installed, do it never go away ?

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, that's your choice to make and I'm sorry you feel that way as I'm not in this hobby to support the industry perse. I invested in this hobby to enjoy all kinds of movies even those that are only in 2-D which has always been about 99% of them.:)

You know, the flip side of this is that I'd like to be able to watch all kinds of movies including the 3D ones that I have purchased, so any TV set going forward should be supporting 3D display even if it wasn't a moneymaker for TV manufacturers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You know, the flip side of this is that I'd like to be able to watch all kinds of movies including the 3D ones that I have purchased, so any TV set going forward should be supporting 3D display even if it wasn't a moneymaker for TV manufacturers.
I got into this hobby before 3-D was possible in the home theater environment. Of course, I want 3-D displays to continue now that I have experience them and I continue to purchase 3-D titles like the bunch I'm receiving from the UK today. It's sad that the industry as a whole has abandon us or in the process of doing so.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Worthless without the excellent 3D they used to have. No reason not to include it in these.

3D projection is the only way I can ever watch 3D. I tried going back to my 55" TV...its a joke compared to a 140" screened 3D feature. The sense of immersion is so much better than what a TV, any TV, no matter how good can give you.

Have you tried a projector?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Simply don’t have room to set up a projector. My 75-incher (bought last year when the news broke) barely fits, but glad to finally get that size instead of settling for less. I can’t imagine having anything smaller than that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks