What's new

LG OLED TV Amazon streaming app malfunctioning - advice needed (1 Viewer)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
I've had a LG OLED55EPUA TV since last summer that has been pretty good most of the time. However, I've gotten rather interested in streaming content from my Amazon Prime account and the app is proving to be a real problem recently with error messages which don't say anything. The image freezes a lot. At first I hit Back, waited for a moment and then hit Resume but after a while that failed to fix it. Increasingly, I have tried stopping the app under Recents on the Home screen, backing out and coming back in - used to help but not anymore.

The only other options I know of are:
1.Shut down the TV, unplug for a minute or two and plug back in.
2.If there is an update to the app I would install and that has helped the few times one comes along. What to do if there is none – uninstall then reinstall app?
3.I couldn’t find it but is there a “restart” function to these TVs? The only related setting is to reset to defaults which I would really rather avoid. A real drag to put back all my settings – which I took the time to document when first set up!

Problems like this are one of the major reasons I think streaming is a VERY poor substitute for cable TV and physical media - still unreliable in my view. Any constructive input would be welcome.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know this may not be a welcome or helpful reply, but my two cents:

Streaming using a TV or disc player’s built in apps rarely works well in my experience. This isn’t a knock on the streaming concept, but neither the streaming services nor the manufacturers of devices like TVs seem to be able to support those apps well.

I would strongly recommend investing in a dedicated streaming box like an AppleTV or a Roku. I personally have an AppleTV and the technical quality of the content as well as ease of use is so much better than what’s built into the TV. And the customer support you’ll get from a dedicated box will be much better than the support you’d get if you tried reaching out to LG for help with the TV app.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ditto what Josh said. Even my very expensive Oppo BR player stinks compared to my AppleTVs. The 4K AppleTV is relatively expensive, but well worth it in savings of hassle. I've never had a Roku.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Amazon Fire Stick 4K is only $50 and is very reliable. Obviously it delivers Prime programming beautifully, but I, too, prefer the Apple TV 4K because it has Vudu, iTunes, and Movies Anywhere, and since I have purchased and code redemption streams in all three places, I like having them on one platform.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Thanks for your input friends but the streaming media device route lies in the future for me at present. I was able to correct my problem currently but was looking for additional options.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks