What's new

LG OLED and HDMI 2.1 (1 Viewer)

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I am really considering buying a 65" OLED from LG that is currently on sale. This one: OLED65B7A

However, I know that HDMI 2.1 will be released soon. I am unsure if this TV has it. If it doesn't, should I hold off on buying until next year? I know the new HDMI will get a big increase in bandwidth, but will this really be that important?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
No need to wait for 2.1

I agree. HDMI 2.1 adds extra bandwidth to support 8K video and enhanced audio return channel (eARC), and every component in the chain -- display, receiver and source -- must have HDMI 2.1. We are a long way off from 8K video, so eARC is really the only benefit to HDMI 2.1 for the foreseeable future. That feature is of limited use, IMO, and is nothing I would concern myself with.

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Thanks everyone. I purchased the new tv and am running my old HDMI cord from my receiver to my tv. I would say it is roughly 8-10 years old. I just ordered a new HDMI 2.0 cord. Do you think I will see a noticeable difference when I swap the new cord for the old?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You may not see a noticeable difference in quality, but you should certainly find it a more reliable performer with anything you throw at your equipment going forward.

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
"more reliable performer with anything you throw at your equipment going forward"

In what regards?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
What kinds of signals are you feeding your receiver? If they're UHD, for example, an old cable may not be a reliable highway to transmit the signal with the most bit-heavy transfers. If all you're running is SD and regular HD, the old cable won't be an issue.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's very very likely your old receiver will not pass a 4k signal at all. You will need to upgrade that. If you did not buy an 18gbs HDMI cable you will likely need to get those too. And a 4k source, like a Roku, Apple TV, UHD deck. Your built in apps will be OK but not great.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's very very likely your old receiver will not pass a 4k signal at all. You will need to upgrade that. If you did not buy an 18gbs HDMI cable you will likely need to get those too. And a 4k source, like a Roku, Apple TV, UHD deck. Your built in apps will be OK but not great.

Just to add to Sam's post, make sure any HDMI cables you buy from now on are "certified" high speed (i.e. 18Gbps) cables and you will be fine for any 4K UHD + HDR video stream you plan on running. These types of cables do not need to be expensive, either. Monoprice sells certified cables starting at under $3. I am using Monoprice certified cables for all my 4K connections and have experienced no HDMI handshake issues or video breakups, which are the issues you can experience with older HDMI cables.

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Thanks everyone.

My receiver transmits 4k. Here's the receiver I have:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1023-K

I just hooked up the new cable. Hopefully I can run some 4k content through it soon.

This is the description of the cable I bought. I purchased through Amazon.

ATEVON
4.8 out of 5 stars 547Reviews
4K HDMI Cable 6 ft - Atevon High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Cable - 4K HDR, 3D, 2160P, 1080P, Ethernet - 28AWG Braided HDMI Cord - Audio Return(ARC) for UHD TV, Blu-ray Player, Xbox, PS4/3, PC, Apple TV

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks