LG High Def Recorder

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DavidWi, Jul 12, 2004.

1. DavidWi

DavidWi Auditioning

What do you guys think of the LG High Definition Recorder? I can't post URL's yet (too few posts), but hopefully one of the posters that reads this will find the lg electronics website and post a link to the product...

Now you can record and replay all your favorite TV shows and movies in all their high-definition glory. It boasts a massive 120GB hard drive that can store 12.5 hours of high-definition programming and 120 hours of analog programming. An 8-day interactive onscreen TV schedule makes recording shows a snap, and the unit's 5.1 channel Dolby® digital sound will be music to your ears.

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

It has some major flaws that make me think it's not the best option for most:

- You can't watch a prerecorded program while the current program records. This is a total deal breaker in a PVR for me; being able to watch shows at any time is a fundamental feature. When you are limited to only watching while something new isn't recording, it puts a major damper on the experience.

- It is limited to recording OTA & unscrambled QAM, and I believe analog signals. It can't record off of satellite, or from encrypted digital channels.

I'd much rather get HD-DirecTivo, or HD DVR from my cable company if available.