What's new

LG DVD Player Upconversion Question (1 Viewer)

MichaelM

Agent
Hello:
I just got a Widescreen Sony 30" HDTV with an HDMI input and an LG DVD Player (LGDVB418) that upconverts to 720/1080. I have it hooked up to the TV via the HDMI cable. My questions are:

1. Will I still get progressive scan with the HDMI input? In the manual for the DVD player it talks about progressive scan in relation to the component inputs but doesn't mention it for HDMI. Also, on the back of the DVD Player, it is labeled "Component Output/Progressive Scan" and for the HDMI it just says "HDMI". Which will produce a better picture? I'm worried that by using the HDMI I will not get progressive scan and may not be gettting the best picture in the end.

2. If I do use the component outputs of the DVD Player will I still get the upconversion or does that just work when you are using an HDMI cable?

Thanks a lot!
Mike

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
1. Yes, you will be getting the progressive scan with the HDMI or Component inputs. Well, that depends. Theoretically, the HDMI connection should give you the best picture since it is a "digital to digital" connection; the component to component connection is analog.

2. Using jus the component cables you will get 480p content only. Upscaling players like yours do so only when connected using a digital connection, DVI or HDMI.

I have heard that the LG upscaling players will NOT upscale copy protected content to 720p/1080i. This may be because they are not HDCP compliant.

MichaelM

Agent
Thanks for the reply. The manual says, under Component Video:
For 720p and 1080i resolution, only non-copy protected discs can be played back. If the disk is copy protected, it will be displayed at the 480p resolution.

It only states that under Component video. It doesn't mention this under the HDMI section so I'm assuming it's only an issue with Component set-up. Any thoughts on that?

I'm assuming pretty much ALL DVD's are copy-protected, right?

Thanks.

MichaelM

Agent
Sorry about starting the new thread. Just wanted to be sure people saw it.

Anyway, I think after doing some more research that i have it figured out:

Since the HDMI output/input supports HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) you can upconvert using that input. Because even if you were to connect to some sort of recording device the copy protection wouldn't allow you to copy the discs. But component inputs/outputs do not have any type of copy protection so you could copy the upconverted signal.

As far as i can tell all tv's with HDMI have the HDMI/HDCP interface. I'm not totally sure about this but it would seem that it's sort of all part of the same thing.

My LG DVD Player says in the manual "HDMI was developed to provide the technologies of HDCP. HDCP is used to protect digital content transmitted and received." So, in short, the unit will upconvert copy protected discs as long as it's connected via the HDMI.

According to the LG's manual, it will upconvert using the component outputs/inputs but not if the disc is copy-protected. But it does clearly say "Component mode: you can switch among 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i by pressing the resolution button."

And the progressive scan is only available by using component connection. that's the only thing i don't get. Why is that? Is a progressive scan/component image going to be better than an HDMI image? I would get not, since with HDMI you can upconvert.

Thanks for reading. I would love any feedback, comments, corrections.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I doubt you can even pass 480i via the HDMI. So everything on HDMI is progressivey scanned then upconverted. Pretty sure on that one.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Yes, John S is right. I am really intrigued by the upconversion over component though. Only a handfull of players do that and not many are still being produced. No, not all DVDs are copyprotected. Most all of the new discs are but I can tell you that I have a friend who (against my advice) actually was able to copy a couple of brand new releases (from January & February of this year) on DVD from his protable player onto DVD+R discs using a Liteon DVDR.:frowning:

John S

Senior HTF Member
I bought two early Zenith 318's, I like the first one so much, and I have read about people that seek these older dearly loved panny players. I ordered another one, and left it in the box more or less, after making sure it worked.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

There is a firmware available that is easy to download and install which reverts the newer version Zenith 318 to the LG model which will still upconvert over component (but not HDMI). I have it bookmarked on my other computer, or I'd give the link here.

I did it - works great, my LCD HDTV receives 1080i from the Zenith when playing DVDs.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I downloaded it somewhere... I bought the players, before it was widely known you could load the original 1080i out the Component without copy protect firmware revision.

That is way cool, people should take head of that, especially if you only have Component Video inputs on your TV. (No DVI / HDMI)

The player is pretty darn amazing for the price, at 1080i those Component Video outs for sure. A little sad it sucks at all other output though.

MichaelM

Agent
Yeah, after talking to Crutchfield, Sony and LG I think this is how it goes for the LG DVD player:

1. No progressive scan with HDMI
2. Upconversion with copy-protected disks with HDMI
3. Upconversion with NON-copy-protected disks with component
4. Progressive scan with component.

The player gives you the open to choose from 480i, 720i or 1080i with the HDMI so you can pass 480.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I just bought the LG LGDVB418 player and it plays 480P/720P/1080i over HDMI and nicely I might add. So far I have watched 4 DVDs all at all those formats.

My understanding is that componet will do 480i/480P only.

I was a bit paranoid about buying this player especially after having to buy the 115.00 HDMI cable (Monster) to go with it. I was looking for the 169.00 Toshiba that includes a 1 meter HDMI cable but they were sold out.

My SD4800 Toshiba was getting long in the tooth and too many drop-outs for me anymore. . . I gambled that the drop-outs were the 4800 and it seems I was right.

Still my old 4800 had the slightly better picture but after a few hours this LG player seems better. . .

So far so good. . . However I am thinking of taking her back and buying the Panasonic player/recorder with the Hard Drive before burning. . . Only about 100.00 more than I have in the LG and cable. . . Besides I might like to record "Deadwood"

Can you record one DVD to another???

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Here's the link to the firmware that allows upconversion over component, which is the best choice to upconvert.

Firmware upgrade

Read the review also and you'll see that the component upconversion is the best choice.

Kevin

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Day two with the LGDVB418. . .
I tried componet and only 480p works. . . You can scroll through 480i/480p/720p/1080i but only 480p works right. The DVD I was using (Stepford Wifes) might have been protected? ? >?

However over HDMI 480p/720p/1080i are working on everything. I tried "Mask of Zorro" on "Super Bit" at 1080i over HDMI and it is extraordinary. . .

I have noticed varying results with different DVDs. . . Some truly spectacular while others did not do near as well as my aging Toshiba SD4800 does. . .

All in all a keeper however at least for now. I might return the player when I get my 975 Sony we will see.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Technicly 1080i is not progressive scan signal, it is interlaced (the "i" at the end indicates interlaced, "p" in 480p or 720p indicates progressive). That said, with your TV 1080i is most likely giong to be the best picture since the TV is most likely converting everything 480i or 480p to either 1080i or 540p. 720p is also most likely converted to 1080i as well. The less conversions (resolution conversions, deinterlacing conversions, and analog-digital conversions) the better the picture will be theoreticly. With 1080i you're only doing one resolution conversion (480i -> 1080i), no deinterlacing, and one digital -> analog conversion (since CRTs are an anlog technology). If you sent 480p or 720p over HDMI then you add deinterlacing in the player and resolution conversions in the TV. If you go 480p over component you add DA conversions and deinterlacing in the player, an AD conversion in the TV, resolution conversiont in the TV, and another DA conversion in the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks