What's new

LG dual format player open box special. Should I jump in or not? (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Walking by J&R today and saw it being used for a Pioneer t.v. The salesman said it was 269.00 for the open box special. Please note that I do have a Toshiba A3 and use it sparingly due to the lack of software, but this LG gives me an opportunity to jump in to BD. What would you guys do in this situation, buy it or leave it.

GaryPL

Agent

I bought an LG BH200 for $469 last month, and I love it, it also got me into BD.

RIGHT NOW BB is having a sale on them, they are listed as $399, but put it in your cart and it lists it as 339(bring the flyer into BB or just tell them to look it up in the store), and there are also 10% of coupons, or $25 reward coupons that can be used (xome have used BOTH), so the end price is around $300 for a brand new player.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the info, I'll pass on it and wait till I move to VA and hopefully I can get the same deal there.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Keep in mind that the 10% and other coupons are "YMMV." I've gotten one "no" on it already.

GaryPL

Agent
Your Mileage May Vary

In other words, you may or may not be allowed to use the coupons....most I have seen have used the coupon/s without issue.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've read about several people being able to use the coupons, but I've also heard several accounts where they were turned down. The Best Buys around here tend to be sticklers about everything. Still, I'm probably going to try again.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
BTW, I tried again and got an awesome deal :D , but it is my understanding that Best Buy has raised the price back to $399.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I was all set to get one of these until I found out it stretches 4x3 pictures on regular DVDs when you have them upconverted. You can view them properly if you turn upconversion off and manually switch the TV to 4x3 mode, but I want to have screen formats switch automatically without having to look at a squashed or stretched picture and fiddle with buttons. There's a chance this could be fixed in a firmware upgrade, but I'm staying away til I hear about that being done.

Don't mind having a separate player for HD-DVDs now that the format's dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks