What's new

3D Why keep fighting for 3-D, even if you're not a fan! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Didn't I say the 2017 models?
Just to clarify my initial comment, it wasn't about 3-D or the lack of 3-D. I was just stating that in my opinion, 2017 models are a lot more expensive than the 2016 models. Besides the no 3-D issue, the other reason why I bought the 2016 OLED model is that it's more in my price range. If I wasn't retired, I might think differently, but I am retired so I need to budget my discretionary spending more conservatively.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I've read that including 3D makes VERY little if any difference at all in how bright the screen is. The rep from LG said dropping it was mainly due to "lack of consumer interest".

I still find it very confusing that all these manufacturers are actively killing a feature that apparently costs next to nothing to implement. There may not be a ton of general interest, but there is still niche interest which should count for something, especially, again at a negligible cost. Look at all the useless features that Manuafacturers are still pushing like smart capability. It's fine, but redundant when virtually any Blu ray player or an XBOX/PS or a chromecast dongle, or Apple TV or Roku can do the same thing. Does anyone really use Picture in Picture? Does any self respecting viewer not immediately turn off the "Soap Opera" setting.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
And if they removed motion-smoothing, or torch mode, or a myriad of other stupid features, it wouldn't leave me "holding the bag." Of unviewable discs, that is.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The link above appears to be the same LG petition I had previously signed.

As I think I've said before, I'm 100% in favor of 3D being retained or returned to commercial televisions. But I am also completely convinced that online petitions will have zero effect on achieving this goal. I thought the following comment, from the petition creator, was noteworthy:

"I have been sending over emails to LGE as we hit various milestones and there is still no response at all from any of them"

I wouldn't expect that there ever will be.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Judging from the latest batch of pre-orders(3d movies not available for 3D Blu-Ray from Fox, Universal, and Paramount anyway) I think it is done. Once the studios pull the plug on 3D for home video-tough luck getting TV manufacturers to reverse their decision.

We still have the boutique labels to ease the pain a bit with some deep catalog titles in 3D.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The link above appears to be the same LG petition I had previously signed.

As I think I've said before, I'm 100% in favor of 3D being retained or returned to commercial televisions. But I am also completely convinced that online petitions will have zero effect on achieving this goal. I thought the following comment, from the petition creator, was noteworthy:

"I have been sending over emails to LGE as we hit various milestones and there is still no response at all from any of them"

I wouldn't expect that there ever will be.
Profit speaks louder than petitions. It doesn't matter how many people write in to save 3D HDTV if its folks who have already bought into it and therefore don't constitute any significant growth to justify the expense.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Profit speaks louder than petitions. It doesn't matter how many people write in to save 3D HDTV if its folks who have already bought into it and therefore don't constitute any significant growth to justify the expense.

Thanks for your support for those many who have invested in the 3D format.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
What 3D movies are not available for pre-order? I am buying Fanrastic Beasts next week and Rogue 1 later next month. What else is missing?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What 3D movies are not available for pre-order? I am buying Fanrastic Beasts next week and Rogue 1 later next month. What else is missing?

Sony's "Underworld: Blood Wars" and "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter" didn't get 3D releases, which breaks from Sony's recent habit of combining the UHD and 3D disc in the same package. Underworld: Blood Wars was never announced for 3D on disc and no artwork was ever leaked to suggest that 3D was coming. For Resident Evil: The FInal Chapter, artwork distributed ahead of the announcement suggested that it would be a UHD+3D combo pack, but when the final press release was issued, the 3D had been dropped completely.

Paramount is declining to issue a 3D disc for "XXX: Return of Xander Cage". Preliminary artwork for a 3D version leaked, but when the press release came out, the 3D version had been dropped.

At the moment, all three titles have 3D versions scheduled for release in the UK and are available for preorder. However, the UK release dates are after the US release dates (so the items aren't out there either), and I am concerned that the UK versions will also be canceled.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The big question is now with Marvel, and WB(DC) 3D.

Will they continue their 3D support on Blu-Ray?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Warner has been quietly scaling back their 3D combo packs - up until last year, the combos for new releases included BD3D+BD+DVD+Digital HD. Last year, they switched to BD3D+BD+Digital HD. Dropping the DVD is okay with me. If I won't watch a 3D movie in 2D, there's even less chance I'll watch it on DVD.

On the other hand, with Doctor Strange, Marvel has added the DVD back to the combo pack, which they had removed starting in 2014. I wonder if this was a way for Marvel to add something that cost them about twenty-five cents to manufacture so that they could add $5-10 to the price.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Universal is also declining to release a domestic 3D disc for "The Great Wall" - as of now, it is available for preorder in the UK.

:angry:

This really frustrates me. I know the reviews were less than stellar putting it mildly, but I heard lots of good things about the 3D presentation. I would've liked to check it out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
:angry:

This really frustrates me. I know the reviews were less than stellar putting it mildly, but I heard lots of good things about the 3D presentation. I would've liked to check it out.

Same exact story here. I'm hoping that the UK release does actually come out; if so, I'm all-region, so playing it won't be a problem. It might be region-free anyway.

There are a bunch of movies that, for me, sound like a fun watch in 3D, but that I'd have absolutely no interest in watching flat. The Great Wall is one of them. This went from a title I would have done a U.S. blind buy for, giving Universal $25-30 for the disc, and if it's indeed 2D-only, I won't even rent it. So they've gone from a guaranteed sale to nothing. Obviously they're not losing enough sales to care, but it shows the difference in mindset between the major studios and the smaller players, smaller companies who generally believe having a part of something is better than all of nothing.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
However, the UK release dates are after the US release dates (so the items aren't out there either), and I am concerned that the UK versions will also be canceled.
Underworld: Blood Wars 3D from Amazon.JP was released in Japan March 22.
Amazon Global Priority Shipping to the US is fast from Japan as my region A copy came yesterday.
UWBW.jpg

Menu is in English and Audio is English DTS-HD MA 5.1 by default.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks