LG CD Burners-Any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, it looks like my HP 7200i might have finally given up on me after four years, which I suppose that I can accept...

If this is the case though, I need a new CD writer, and I don't really have the cash to invest in a DVD-R quite yet. I'm looking at an OEM LG 10x CDRW for $95-are their drives any good? Speed is not really an issue (I've been using a 2x burner for four years), but reliability is. I've had a lot of problems with discs burned on crappy CD writers, and want something that'll create burns that I can read anywhere.

2. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chris,
    I've had an LG CED-8120B 12/8/32x CDRW for about 6 months now. No problems whatsoever with it. Only thing is that I was disappointed to learn that it didn't have the Burn-Proof feature, but that was my own fault for not doing my homework before buying.

Cheers,

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I have a 24/10/40 Lg it works well, but I only paid $62 about a month ago.

32/10/40 CDRWs go for $70 for an OEM model around here. While a Lite-on goes for $80.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Do most LG burners NOT have any buffer underrun protection (BurnProof)? They're selling for pretty cheap up here. approx $80CAD ($51) at a B&M.

I hope i dont hijack this thread, but:
    How do BenQ (AOpen) burners hold up? I found a 32x10x40x BenQ burner for $73CAD ($47USD) without any MIRs or coupons at a B&M.
    How bout SAMSUNG? I found a 24x10x40x samsung for only $69 ($44 USD)

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I think most newer LG drives DO have buffer underun protection. Mine also has an 8meg buffer.

From a review of mine;

"The GCE-8240B is the first of these two new drives to hit the street. The drive's 24x writing speeds are complemented by 10x rewrite speeds and 40x CD read and DAE speeds. It also features Oak Technology's ExacLink coaster protection. This is the same coaster protection used in the drives from Yamaha and Mitsumi. The GCE-8240B also happens to be first drive from LG to use their new Fail Free Technology. This new technology helps to determine the best writing speed based on current conditions."

Brent
    Sorry Nick I know nothing about BenQ (AOpen) writers. Sorry to say, but for $10(around here anyways) I'd go for a Lite-on. If you want cheap and good save the money and go for LG.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i haven't seen any Lite-Ons cheap at any local B&M's...

7. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Nick, Future Shop always has the LG burners pretty cheap in their weekend flyers. That's where I got mine.

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I found my prices at A-power.com, where i built my computer. They got pretty good prices. They got the Lite-On for $87, but I hear they're like a mix of three different brands or something? Two of them are good, and one is bad?

Anyways, im kinda lookin at a new burner to replace my faithful Mitsumi 4x4x24x. Prolly wait until it dies though, its served me well, and i havent really saved any $ especially for a burner.

10. Graeme Clark

Lite-On is a manufacturer, but the do license their drives out to other companies. So I'm not sure what you mean by a mix of 3 different brands.

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Oh, i may have mistaken LiteOn for Cendyne. They just took drives from other companies (Verbatim, Aopen, LiteOn) and just rebadged it as their own. So if you order a drive, it could be one of the three.

I also read you can upgrade the firmware for one of the LiteOn drives so they're like 40x from 32x

12. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Hey, I used a 4/4/24 for 30 months. The only reason I upgraded was because of the 24x read speed ...slow!

My other drive is a DVD-rom at 24x too.

Nick; Don't you have any place near you that sells OEM?

Brent

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yup, i do... [​IMG] I just havent planned to spend any money for a burner yet...

14. Graeme Clark

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Heh, in richmond alone there are like almost a dozen eh?

16. Graeme Clark

There's about a dozen on Broadway alone. 4 or 5 within a few blocks of each other. At least there was, a few have gone out of business. Still plenty left though.