LG Burners, any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

My father had a Creative 12/10/32 burner for about a year and a half, which recently has become nothing more than a coaster factory. He needs a replacement.
    Since he is pretty much broke these days, the rule would be the cheaper, the better. All he needs is to be able to make backups.
    The best deal we found was at Microbytes, 65$ (cdn) for an LG 24/10/40. Although for that price, it's probably an OEM drive in bag, no cable, no software thing, but he can still use the same copy of Nero that he was using with his old burner, so that is not a problem.
    My question is, is LG a reliable brand for burners? For 65$ can it do a good job for backups and the occasionnal Audio Compilation that I sometimes burn at his place (Heck, for that price, I'll get one too and do those on my own PC!)

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I had a problem with an LG burner that I tried, in that it couldn't make discs that could be read on all of my devices. It could read its own discs fine, but was about 50/50 with my DVD rom, and its audio discs were a no go on my Playstation, DVD player, and car CD player. I've been using my HP 7200i for four years now, and it still makes perfect discs-might want to look at one of their drives.

3. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Lite-On is the best, after Plextor. LG is pretty much at the bottom.

4. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I've never had any problems with LG burners, and as such I use them exclusively for all custom computers that I build. It's gotten to the point where all CD burners will quickly and reliably get the job done. The differences in cost are primarily brand name, and the newest upgrade in speed.

My latest OEM LG 32X drive from Newegg.com came with Easy CD Creator, so software might come with yours too.

The only issue with LG drives is I don't think they can overburn, so if you're into pirating lots of software or Divx movies, you'll have to look elsewhere.

5. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I've used many LG burners and built several other systems with LG burners and there have been no problems. They are very nice drives.
    VinhT, my LG overburns last time i checked [​IMG]

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Just bought the same LG 24/10/40 today!!

It came with Adaptec 5 series software, audio cord, and cable. For only $62 Canadian.

For another $12 I could have gone with a Liteon 32/10/40 but that;s LIKE 20% more.

I really just needed a fastrer CD rom since my Iomega 4/4/24 is quite slow.

Brent
    I should be able to sell the old drive for about $40 to a friend NOT in the know, so I'll be happy.

7. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Lite-On is the best, after Plextor.

A recent review in Tom's Hardware rated the Lite-On better for certain aspects.

8. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

I've used my LG 16x10x40 CDR-W for 6 months now. My first CDR drive, BTW. I've used it for back-up, CDRs, CDR-W. CDRs play on CDR capable players. Same for CDR-Ws. All the data disks are accessable by other PCs in the house. I'd buy one again if I needed one.

9. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Good, my dad placed an order for a Lite-On 40/12/48 for 120$... I'll see how that performs when he gets it...

But me, I'll probably get the LG at 65$ since I don't want to pay too much, and like 80% of the members of HTF, August 6th is gonna drain my bank account big time!!! Although I'm only buying 5 titles on that day, which will be my personal record, but still less than the average 9-10 that most people here are getting on that day!