LG brand LCD Projection TV & Direct TV, Bummer!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Norm, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I just bought an LG brand 44" LCD Projection TV. I am so disappointed the quality of it with regular Direct TV. Some of the channels look like a Video CD. DVDS look great on it even without Progressive scan. Is this how all the LCD Projection TVs look with Direct TV? If I return it for another HDTV will it handle Direct TV any better? I'm pissed! Thanx too anyone that wants to help.

2. Zach

Zach Agent

Hi Norm,

Don't rush to return your LG LCD. It's a nice set. In fact, I love my Sony LCD projection TV...but I too came to the harsh realization you did shortly after purchasing a large LCD set while being a DirecTV customer.

SD television is just unimpressive...to say the least. When I complained of this earlier I was told that SD broadcasts are meant for viewing on 32" screens (I could be overstating that), and that any screen over that size is artificially "blowing up" the image. This is what creates the 'nasty' image.

As a result, watching SD television (especially through Tivo) on digital projection sets is somewhat of a letdown...but a small tradeoff IMHO for the picture on HD, XBOX and DVD images.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure I've oversimplified this), but this is how it was explained to me...and I accepted it. [​IMG]

Zach

3. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

one of the magazines had a simmilar question and said it's just the quality of signal, cable, and sat both look poor on digital sets since you are seeing all the defects switch to an hd source (even directtv) and you'll see a huge difference

4. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Hi Norm, You don't mention if your STB is HD capable or one of the standard boxes?

If it is not an HD STB, I purchased my Sony LCD 60" before upgrading my Direct system. I too was extremely disappointed in the reduction of quality of my exsisting SD feed which the old CRT set had handled very well.

Within a week I purchased an RCA DTC100 for the digital audio capabilities. (still had not upgraded my sat dish) I was astounded at the improvement in SD with the new box before I ever set up the rest of the system to receive what HD broadcasts there were.

I assume the higher quality electronics, shielding? bandwidth in the new Sat receiver were responsible for the difference.

Later I replaced my aging RCA DTC100 with a test run upgrading to a Sony HD200 HD STB. (which unfortunatly I had to return for freeze issues). Again the quality of the SD channels took an noticably upward swing with the later generation satilite receiver.

My mom still has not upgraded her sat to HD and is running a standard Direct receiver on the same Sony LCD display. Absolutly awful PQ when compared to mine using the DTC100. She has put me off having her Direct dish upgraded (every time they come over she ends up with glitch issues - so fears living through all the appts again). I will talk her into this upgrade soon. Meantime while she still has her original dish. If I replace my STB with another HD unit, I will pass her my DTC100, which I know will improve her PQ immensely.

different displays do handle sat feeds with greater/lesser aplomp due to quality of certain electronics (can't remember which one - I used to know and if I shopped a new display I'd be researching it again).

Regardless if you are using a 'basic' Direct reciever you might want to consider picking up a used HD STB (if fesible for you) even if you are not intending to upgrade your dish to HD at this time.

5. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Well its not a good trade off to me, my eyes start hurting. Its like watching a poor Video-Cd on some of these channels.

6. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

You might also want to try tweaking the settings on the TV. I was able to get the picture allot better, though still not nearly as good as a dvd at 480P or my HD set top box at 720P but thats understandable.

7. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

SD Television or NTSC was actually designed for use on 19" TV's (the largest at the time) around 50 years ago. NTSC or Never Twice the Same Color sucks.

8. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

lol

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If I remember right, That's why it took Sony so long to move to the 35 Inch Tube when everyone else already had them. Sony said that the NTSC picture could not be any larger than 32 Inches without degrading picture quality. But in the end they were forced to move to the 35 Inch size because all the other brands had them & at the time the 40 Inch Mitsubishi sets were really starting to cut into Sony's 32 Inch "XBR" sales.

10. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I get that at work all the time.

Even with our 32" Sharp NON-HDTV with DTV, you can see .jpeg-like compression and all that. I would hate to see Cartoon Network on a DLP!!!

Maybe you are too close to the TV for some low-quality broadcasts [​IMG]

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

a slight correction if I may.

It was a designed for a 9" tube, in black and white. Color was added in later as an after-thought.

Yes - standard definition video sucks on a modern, year 2000 television. But it's not the TV's fault.

Contact DirectTV and see how much to upgrade to a HD reciever. You will be shocked at the difference.

12. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm

Will it improve non HD channels as well?

13. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Yes! see post #4 above. I see the difference every week. I have two floor samples to compare to each other constantly (so to speak). Just at my moms last night. My husband can not even stand watching the Direct channel guide on her set. The menu has edge bleed and is blurry compared to viewing on our display.

Her display is GWII 60"LCD (as is mine). SAME DISPLAY. The difference is in our STB's. Hers is the standard receiver which came with the 3 room setup 4 yrs ago. Mine is one of the earliest generation HD receivers.

Not ALL SD channels will improve dramatcly. Some have so much compression there is still a noticable difference between different SD channels in PQ. (some SD channels will improve more than others) BUT in general the difference in both the channel guide screen and viewing all SD channels across the board is an ENORMOUS improvement in PQ!

Buy one you can return (without restocking fee) in 30 days.
    I had to return the later generation Sony HD reciever I wanted to try because it froze. (but again its PQ was better than my OLDER HD receiver!) Did not cost me anything but phonecalls to Direct and setup time.

BE CAREFUL if you are out of your contract period. Its very hard to purchase a new STB and have DIRECT turn it on without resetting your contract with DIRECT.

If it is a subsidized receiver you will have to reset contract. Even though I paid full retail on the Sony, (without a subsidized price break) I had to argue through 2 supervisors to get DIRECT to activate it without resetting my contract!

My only grip about the exciting advancments in LCD/Plasma/and DLP over CRT in the the larger screen is the fact they are all (what I call) signal hogs. They NEED the best electronics and bandwidth availible to give you the pic that makes them a contender to a great CRT. Thats why (I feel) you see some owners stating ..its just not that good. They have not tweaked to the displays outer limits of ability and for those viewers CRT does beat it hands down. JMO

Another note for those researching PQ tweaking. Gregg Loewen stated "On a side note, DVI via component for DVD, can be remarkably better on digital displays"
    The Sony HD200 I tried had the DVI connection, the PQ improvement I saw on this newer generation HD box may have been at least partially due to the connection. (did not compare hooking it up with component cables rather than DVI when I was testing it) With my RCA DTC100 I am having to run RGB to component with a converter which I feel degrades the feed somewhat.

14. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I exchanged it for an EAS Plasma EDTV, and it isn't any better. I'm shipping that back for a Panny CT-34WX54 tomorrow. I had to go lower in size because of weight reasons, but from what I saw at the store, I hope I can get by with this model, if not I may go to an old Analog style TV. Since I feel there just isn't enough HD programming on Direct TV for me to feel like I'm getting good value with these sets.

I will need to get a Direct TV Tivo when I up grade.