What's new

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's the dream: 120" microLED direct view set, made of sub-blocks so it can built up in any room (no limitations getting it through stairs and tight hallways). But I'm guessing we're five years away at least before that breaks into the $10k pricing.

Last edited:
Real Name
Robert Hart
Agreed on all of that. I love my PJ but I have yet to be convinced one can do 'real' HDR.

HDR is certainly one of the limitations with projectors and I don't believe that will ever change. They can make projectors with good blacks and super bright ones, just not together.

There's also the needing a dedicated blacked-out room thing. I used to be in the ALR screen business. With the very best ALR screens you can just about achieve a semi-acceptable 100" 16:9 image under living room lights. Maybe 120" with brighter projectors or UST but you'll never get genuinely good contrast.

Oled screens can produce super bright areas right next to jet black ones in a brightly lit room. It's amazing and no projector or LCD is anywhere near as good. The 1,000,000:1 contrast specs they state for projectors these days are pure nonsense.

I still love projectors and I think there's still a place for both though. It's just not in the 80"-105" space they used to commonly occupy. They're still king for that 120" -300"+ home theater. For many people the impact of a giant screen still adds more than HDR and consumer micro-led is many years out.

buckmichaels

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Mike, Not sure what vintage OLED TV you had, but wanted you to know that beginning with the 2017 model year and every year thereafter OLED TVs have integrated several technologies to help prevent burn-in. 2016 and earlier OLED TVs were more susceptible to image retention.

With that said you still would have to avoid static images that stay on the screen for more than 2 hrs without changing the content and that content with the same static image is watched every day.
I purchased my LG OLED tv in March 2018. Curiously, the burn in didn't occur until about January of this year. After speaking to LG, they had a tech come over, and request the original sales receipt, which I didn't have at the time, but I had the delivery receipt from Fry's. The company online said that was fine, and I emailed them a copy. The Tech that came to the house had a different story, and said they would not replace the panel unless I had the sales receipt. I was able to obtain a copy from Fry's, then called and texted the LG tech, who refused to answer me further, even though I had the receipt he had requested. Even though the tv was out of the factory warranty, the rep at LG online stated that the company was willing to do a free, one time replacement. I will have additional conversations with LG about their local rep not responding. I do watch news shows quite a bit, but I was very careful about not leaving static images on the screen. I love the picture OLED's give, but I also don't want to feel like I need a timer to watch the news, so maybe OLED may not be the way to go for me, at least. I assume my tv was a 2017 model. I just feel I should expect more from a tv that cost upwards of $2600. The option in the tv menu to erase burn in did nothing to fix the problem. Do you know if LG has come up with additional improvements to combat this problem? Sorry for the late reply, I moved to another state, and that was taking up all my time.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Hi Mike, congraulations on the move!

Yes, LG Electronis and LG Display have made some very nice upgrades to help reduce the threat of burn-in. In 2018 they changed the pixel orbitor algorithm and how the panel refresh operates. In 2019 they started the static image dimming algorithm that is a very effective deterent to protect the OLED screen.

buckmichaels

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Hi Mike, congraulations on the move!

Yes, LG Electronis and LG Display have made some very nice upgrades to help reduce the threat of burn-in. In 2018 they changed the pixel orbitor algorithm and how the panel refresh operates. In 2019 they started the static image dimming algorithm that is a very effective deterent to protect the OLED screen.
Thanks for letting me know about the updates to the OLED tv's. Wonder if Sony OLED has the same issues...although I know that as of a few years ago, Sony was getting their OLED panels from LG, so the quality would be identical.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Correct, Sony and all other TV brands that sell OLED TVs Worldwide buy their OLED modules from LG Display.

Real Name
Robert Hart
The burn-in potential is a little annoying. I'm super careful and I refuse to subscribe to streaming services like Vudu who insist on sticking their stupid logo on-screen the whole time on their original content.

For news channels like CNN, which also apparently haven't heard of Oled TV's, I use the vertical or 4-way stretch option on the aspect ratio settings on my LG Oled. This pushes the static logo off-screen.

Luckily Netflix, Amazon and Disney streaming services aren't so vain. They account for 99% of my viewing now.

I decided before I bought Oled TVs that the image quality was worth being careful for. CRT, Plasma and Oled can burn in because they light pixels individually. This is also what gives them their amazingly high contrast image.

They can use tricks to state uber high but ultimately meaningless full on / full off contrast ratios on LCD TVs but none of them can get anywhere close to an Oled quality image. Local dimming is a poor substitute for being able to turn pixels on and off individually.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
That's then dream: 120" microLED direct view set, made of sub-blocks so it can built up in any room (no limitations getting it through stairs and tight hallways). But I'm guessing we're five years away at least before that breaks into the $10k pricing.

And can be built at 21:9 for constant height ratio. With the microLEDs turning off in the unused areas when 16:9 and 4:3 are displayed. I can dream, can't I?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I've had my eye on the C9 at Costco for a while, but I've held off in hopes that they'd drop a bit lower than $2,149.00. The cheapest 65" CX I've found is $2,499.00 at a local retailer, but most places are selling it for $2,799.00. It doesn't sound like the CX is *that* much better than the C9. So I'm seesawing back and forth like a maniac... I swear, I've never agonized over a purchase like this in my life.

It would replace a 65" TCL Series 5 set. So yes, I know, either way I'll likely be thrilled beyond words at the upgrade, but... ugh.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Some authorized LG Dealers, like your's truly, have LG's 65" CX at the discounted $2,497 price and even slightly lower then Costco for the 65" C9. The CX is a moderate upgrade from the very worthy C9.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Some authorized LG Dealers, like your's truly, have LG's 65" CX at the discounted $2,497 price and even slightly lower then Costco for the 65" C9. The CX is a moderate upgrade from the very worthy C9.

Thanks, Robert. That kinda crystallizes it a bit for me. I'm intrigued by the CX's Filmmaker Mode, but my (admittedly less than comprehensive) research suggests that I can get something close to it with the C9... or did I arrive at that conclusion in error?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Thanks, Robert. That kinda crystallizes it a bit for me. I'm intrigued by the CX's Filmmaker Mode, but my (admittedly less than comprehensive) research suggests that I can get something close to it with the C9... or did I arrive at that conclusion in error?

I like FILMMAKER mode too, but it's very much like the ISF dark mode so you don't gain much with the FILMMAKER mode. The CX has the new a9 Gen 3 chip and I'm optimistic we'll firmware updates to further improve motion resolution. I also like the CX's selectable Black Frame Insertion and the new webOS version 5.0.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Are the 2020 LG LCDs still IPS panels ?

We have a LG 2020 NANO thread that has much of the details and specs on LG's new NANO LCD/LED TVs, but here's the cliff notes on LG's 2020 NANO Cell TVs. Yes, they are IPS panels, but for the 2020 model year LG Display significantly enhanced the black level so they perform much like the VA LCD displays, but with very good off axis viewing performance.

Users who are viewing this thread