What's new

LG 3D TV's coming back? (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this. Posted on Facebook.

1lg.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll kick this over to hardware.

Perhaps LG will be introducing 3D in its high-end models.

Doesn't mean that the studios are going to revive the format as a result, but it would be nice to have it available again on a flat panel display.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Have to agree w/ the one comment that doesn't look like merely 83" screen, but easily well over 100" -- 110" would probably be a good guesstimate. Definitely seems deceptive if it's really supposed to be just 83".

_Man_

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
With my 2011 Mits 73738 looking for a replacement I would purchase in a heartbeat. Even if no format revival I have a fairly substantial 3D library that I can only watch on a 10 year old TV.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In this day and age where almost anything can be customized and ordered for delivery at the touch of a button, it’s surprised me that one brand hasn’t been willing to keep it as an option for an additional fee. If they charges an extra $1000 for 3D functionality and only a thousand people ordered that option every year, that’s still an extra $1,000,000. And it would seem to me that there probably would be a thousand people willing to pay an extra thousand bucks for it. It’s still a niche of a niche but considering how many other high end, low volume niches there are in high end video and audio setups, why not?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It’s still a niche of a niche but considering how many other high end, low volume niches there are in high end video and audio setups, why not?
I would say in this case the answer is economies of scale. While there are many TV manufacturers there are only maybe a couple of companies that build the actual display panels. The polarization technology required for 3D displays would necessitate a separate production line and these companies do not likely foresee a sufficient return on investment. Similar to my take on physical media, whatever the future brings, I'm going to keep enjoying the 3D content I already have on my 3D capable projector for as long as possible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would say in this case the answer is economies of scale. While there are many TV manufacturers there are only maybe a couple of companies that build the actual display panels. The polarization technology required for 3D displays would necessitate a separate production line and these companies do not likely foresee a sufficient return on investment. Similar to my take on physical media, whatever the future brings, I'm going to keep enjoying the 3D content I already have on my 3D capable projector for as long as possible.
I agree with most of your comments. For me personally, my option to watch 3-D content is dwindling as having a projector setup isn't feasible for me. Therefore, once my 3-D displays are gone then I'm done watching 3-D content. TBH, I probably have watched only 2-3 of such titles in the last couple of years. My interest is more towards 4K content going forward.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

John (and @Josh Steinberg), what do you use for 3D w/ your Epson PJs?

Maybe I'll finally get a pair of glasses to try it w/ my Epson 5050UB since people keep saying it works better than at typical theaters. But do I also need to get a separate transmitter for that though? Not sure... as I probably need to keep the cost low... Thanks!

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
John (and @Josh Steinberg), what do you use for 3D w/ your Epson PJs?

Maybe I'll finally get a pair of glasses to try it w/ my Epson 5050UB since people keep saying it works better than at typical theaters. But do I also need to get a separate transmitter for that though? Not sure... as I probably need to keep the cost low... Thanks!

_Man_
I use these with my 6050 so you should have no issues. They're readily available on eBay.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I agree with most of your comments. For me personally, my option to watch 3-D content is dwindling as having a projector setup isn't feasible for me. Therefore, once my 3-D displays are gone then I'm done watching 3-D content. TBH, I probably have watched only 2-3 of such titles in the last couple of years. My interest is more towards 4K content going forward.
Oh I'm pretty much in the same range. I just don't like the idea of my options being taken away. :cool:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sadly even new projectors seem to be ditching 3D.
Most new 4K Laser UST projectors I have looked at all have 3D.

Regarding the possible intern screw up, LG Global has responded two more times on the subject of "bring 3D back" comments. Everyone with another "stay tuned" comment.
IMG_4214.JPG

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
LG HU810PW doesn't support 3D.
Epson's EH-LS11000 and EH-LS12000 (just released in Europe) don't either.

Just seems to be a worrying trend.
UST's seem to be a lot more favorable to 3D than standard 4K projectors it seems.

Back to the possible 3D feature returning to OLED. Honestly who cares? I mean for 3D enthusiasts it would be a huge win, for those that think 3D should stay dead, fine too. Just don't use it.

Adding a useful feature to many doesn't make the new hardware antiquated.

daver812

Grip
Real Name
Dave
I'll kick this over to hardware.

Perhaps LG will be introducing 3D in its high-end models.

Doesn't mean that the studios are going to revive the format as a result, but it would be nice to have it available again on a flat panel display.
I love both of my Samsung 3D TVs :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll believe it when I actually see it. At that point, I'm not sure if I'll be happy or more pissed off. Probably the latter. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks