What's new

LG 3D passive screen or other (1 Viewer)

andre1969

Auditioning
Real Name
Andre
Hi All

I have a 54 inch LG passive 3D television. I do not have a idea on how the 3D is passively displayed rather than using shutter glasses but I have been wondering if I am not missing out by not having a 3D TV with shutter glasses instead. Anybody on the forum with any knowledge on active and passive screens and how they differs comments would be greatly appreciated

Andre

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
In my view passive is better. The glasses are the same as Real D glasses you get in the cinema with polarized lenses, so they're much cheaper to replace, and you don't have to worry about replacing batteries or charging.

Passive TVs display the 2 seperate images for the left and right eyes on alternating horizontal lines. As such, on a 1080p tv, you will lose half the vertical resolution. Instead of watching a 2d image 1920 x 1080 pixels, you are watching 2 images, each 1920 x 540 pixels.

This was the main advantage to shutter glasses, they could display both images in full 1920 x 1080. Active tvs work by flashing left and right images on alternate frames, so that can create other issues, such as flicker. I had bad memories of the early days of heavy uncomfortable shutter glasses, so I never wanted to go down that route.

However now that 4k tvs are available, you can have full HD 3D images on a passive 4k 3d set.

Congrats on you new 3dtv. If you're new to 3D, be sure to check out the top 30 must own 3D thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks