LFX-3 crossver network

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Butny, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Mike Butny

Mike Butny Stunt Coordinator

I have my mirage Bps-400 subwoofer hook up to my marantz sr18 receiver using the subs direct input, bypassing the crossover in the sub and setting the crssover in my receiver to 80hz. I was wondering how I would benifit from using a seperate crossover like the LFX-3. Does any one have this AWESOME sub and use it with a seperate crossover network?

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I use a separate electronic xover in my system (see my equip in my signature) and use it between my mains and sub.

That means my prepro/receiver has nothing plugged into the sub-out and I selected sub=NO in the speaker setup, which means all redirected bass and LFE is sent to the mains+xover+sub.

The L&R preouts from my prepro/receiver go to the xover inputs, the xover high-pass outputs go to L&R amp-inputs, and the xover low-pass output goes to the powered sub input.

Since my mains are spec'd to 31Hz, I'm using a xover @60Hz.

Really works well, and I also get the benefits of the sub for 2-channel music.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have a Marantz SR6200 and a Mirage BPS-400. I am finding that the SR6200 SMALL setting puts a very shallow crossover in the speakers path. I have to do more testing but it seems like there is much overlap between my mains and my subwoofer when I use just the marantz internal crossover. My subwoofer is still outputting strong up to 130 hz and my front speakers are still outputting strong down to 60hz. Stonger, I feel, than a crossover curve should allow.
    Before thinking about an external xover, try the one you already have in your Mirage subwoofer. I have done this and feel it might solve my bass problems.
    1) Set your system up like you already have in terms of FRONT=SMALL and SUB=YES.
    2)Then route the subwoofer pre-out from the SR-18 into your BPS-400's L or R input and use the crossover in the Mirage sub, not to mention the level control too [​IMG] Mine is set close to 100hz. For you, perhaps a little lower since your SR-18 I think may have the 80hz crossover. But play with the crossover and see what works best. Maybe higher, maybe lower.
    I have found that it seems to give me a better blend. Everyones room and speakers are different. I have FRONT speakers that are rated to 32 hz -3 dB so that might be why it works better for me, I'm not sure. i'm just not keen on the Marantz crossover.
    OUTBOARD CROSSOVERS. (I wish I could one without buying an outboard amp, but I have no MAIN-LOOP)
    If you had an outboard amp, then maybe the LFX1, LFX2 or LFX3 would be neat. The LFX2 and LFX3 have crossovers for more than just the FRONT speakers.
    One thing you might be able to do, is insert a crossover like the LFX1,2 or LFX3 in the PRE-OUT LOOP or MAIN-LOOP. Does the SR-18 have a MAIN-OUT LOOP?? If you do, then you could do this:
    FRONT=LARGE
    SUB=NO
    Insert the crossover in the MAIN-LOOP with rca cables, running the main back out of the crossover and into the SR-18. You choose your crossover setting with your crossover and that sends the LOWS to your subwoofer and cuts the lows out of your fronts. Allows you more fine tuning than a set 80hz crossover.
    Check and see if you SR-18 has a MAIN-LOOP. If it does, you're in luck. Its a very handy feature. You can also through in an equalizer too [​IMG]
    Please try my first suggestion and let us know how it works for you. Also, do you have a MAIN-LOOP??

4. Mike Butny

Whats a main loop? I have Direct ins and pre outs and pre ins, is this the same thing? also I know when using the direct in input on the sub the volume control on the sub does not work, does the bass control on my marantz sr-18 replace the volume control on the sub?

5. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

Preouts are nwhat most receivers have. Main ins are inputs to the power amps of your receiver. Some Marantz amps have them. Check if you have jumper bars connecting sets of RCA plugs.

I have a Mirage LFX-1 and used to own an LFX-3. I suspect either would give give more useful bass management than the Marantz, especially the LFX-3. It allows you to specify both the frequency and the rate of roll-off for your crossover which can be very handy.

Try getting one used, then if you don't like the results you can always sell for no loss.

Cheers

Steve

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

7. Mike Butny

I have b&w 805s for my fronts and a htm2 for my center.