What's new

Lfe settings on reciever (1 Viewer)

chris bruce

Stunt Coordinator
I want the most bass I can get out of my subs. I seem In my manual I can change the lfe settings on my Onkyo tx-sr803 reciever. They are default at 0db. I can change them to -10bd,-20db or some funky looking symbol that I don't know what that is. Should I mess woth this or keep it at the default setting of 0db. Thanks Again

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To be set correctly, the sub's level in the receiver needs to be set with an SPL meter and the receiver's test tones or test tones from a calibration disc.

John Garcia is correct but I think your asking about the LFE setting which is different than the subwoofer setting.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/howto/805bass/index1.html

from the link above:

"3. The LFE channel is NOT a "subwoofer channel." The LFE signal should be thought of as a path for super-loud bass that would otherwise overload the main channels. Sound designers use this path when the main channels just can't put out enough bass to rock the house. Remember that in movie theaters, the volume control is fixed at a reference level. At that volume setting, the peak sound pressure level from the recorded medium should be 105dB in the listening area. In the mid-frequency range, 105dB is good and loud, but in the deep bass region, it just isn't enough to get the impact we all expect from big A-list titles with he-man characters wielding limitless firepower.

To get real chest-pounding bass, we need to get up to 115dB. The main channels are missing 10dB of headroom, and that's where the LFE channel comes to the rescue. With 10dB of extra headroom, it can really get a person's body bouncing around in the seat. LFE is only used during high-octane action with lots of bass; during the rest of a movie, the LFE channel has no content. The LFE channel may be fed directly to subwoofers in most systems, but there's no directive that it must be. An exceedingly large home theater (dimensions greater than 40 feet) with massive main speakers could theoretically run the LFE channel to those speakers and have no subwoofers at all! "

My Yamaha has settings from -20 to 0 and the default is 0...if you put it down to -10 then the lfe would be level with all the other channels...so if you calibrated all the channels would hit 105, setting it to 0 on your LFE setting on your receiver it then would hit 115, That's the way I see it anyways...but I could be wrong.

brendy

Agent
I have the 602 that has the same setting.Leave it at 0 , which where mine is at.That setting is for the LFE on DD/DTS only.On a DD soundtrack the LFE is boosted by 10db so you are correct RobertBritton.

Why do receivers allow you to go into the - numbers for LFE setting? I had mine set -10 because I thought my sub was going to blow...too much bass or maybe I'm just paranoid that it can't take it...12' by 11' by 8' foot room and my sub is a Mirage BPS-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks