What's new

LFE Output without a Sub (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,
I have searched through the archives but I cannot find another discussion that covers my question. Thanks in advance for the help.
I have a new Onkyo 898 and a five speaker setup. I am not using a sub, my neighbors would throw me out. I get a tremondous amount of base from my front speakers so I am not really lacking in this area. Quite the opposite.
I find that on many DD and DTS DVDs there seems to be almost too much base (I really worry about the guy that lives below me...it's been a problem in the past). It's tight and accurate base, no audible distortion and it must be coming from my Signet 260s running full range. Here are the questions:
Without a sub, how can you control the LFE output? I have been using the tone control.
Will raising the outpul level of my front mains also raise the amount of base output given they are running full range or is the LFE information a separate adjustment?
I realize that I could also set my front speakers to small but that would be too much of an adjustment.
Thanks,
Jeff

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
When your receiver's sub setting is set to NO, all the LFE goes to the mains. To decrease the level of thuderous bass, set the rest of your speakers to large b/c they'll get the LFE signal too, and help smooth out the bass up front. You can asloe try setting your sub to yes, and set all your speakers to small. Also, you should try sub YES, mains large, and the rest of the speakers small for added bass over the second scenario.
------------------
Chuck
Chuckster's HT Site
The At-Home Home Theater (E.L.)
The Dorm Room Theater (E.L.)

[Edited last by Chuck C on November 11, 2001 at 04:03 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks