LFE out of HK AVR7200....??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Cam McFarland, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

Who can tell me what frequency the LFE output on the HK AVR7200 cuts off at.
    I am going to be using a Behringer EP2500 to run my sub & want to know what frequency to set my mains to crossover at.

Thanks.....

- Cam

2. Cam McFarland

gee.....34 views & nobody has a clue........

What about this, then.....does my receiver automatically set the LFE crossover due to what I set my mains at???

I know several people have this screwed up piece of junk receiver, maybe everybody that does is embarrassed to admit it.

3. Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre Stunt Coordinator

Mine's still being fixed- so I have no idea [​IMG] Sorry Cam, hang in there!

4. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

5. Cam McFarland

Thanks Charlie,
    Now how do I set the crossover for my sonosub when the Behringer EP2500 amp has no provision for this?

I prefer to use honey to vinegar & actually love my 7200 but figured this was the best method to get a reply.

I have read my manual & know ALL about thre crossover points
    for the mains, etc.....just not how to set up the LFE when the amp I am using has no provision for this.

The plate amp I use for my Tempest sub has an XO, the Behringer for the sonosub does not.

6. Charlie C

I would make sure there is no xovers in the link after your LFE out on the HK.
    wait, you have a tempest and a sonosub? [​IMG] wow!
    ok first off, you might disengage the xover on the plate amp and not worry about a xover point for the beringer {I dont think it even has one}
    once the LFE is set in the HK, you would want EVERYTHING it is sending out from the HK to be reproduced in your sub. that means that if you have a lower xover point on your plate amp or Berhinger, then you would have a little gap in your respose curve.

I hope im getting this across:

1 xover point is enough.

7. Cam McFarland

Charlie,

The sonosub will be replacing the Tempest, it will have
    a BP1503 in it. Therefore I will not be using the plate amp anymore.

If you re-read my post THIS IS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR!!!

How do I set the LFE output on my HK unit?????? [​IMG]

8. Charlie C

manual, page 23

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Owner%...l/AVR7200OM.pdf

default is 100Hz
    goes from 40Hz to 200Hz

I thought there was a thread specifically for the xover points of everyone's units. or those who posted...

what dont you understand. in each speaker settings, everything below that speaker's xover point goes to the sub. so if all of your speakers were set to 100 HZ, your LFE would be 100 HZ and below....

9. Cam McFarland

This question was in my second post, I guess you didnt read it close enough.....

Thank you very much for all your time in clearing this up for me Charlie......[​IMG]

10. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I thought you could set the XO for your subwoofer, but you cannot set the XO for "LFE" channel, because there isn't really such a thing. If I understood it correctly, LFE frequency range varies among DVD's. I think for most DVD's the signal in the LFE channel does not contain much information above 120 Hz.

11. Cam McFarland

What if as in my case the DIY sub I am constructing does not use a plate amp & therefore does not have a XO.

Hopefully with the HK AVR7200, as is stated above, the LFE
    output (XO) is set in relationship to your mains.
    This is what I gathered from the manual, but I just wanted somebody to verify it for me.....[​IMG]

12. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

Cam, I meant you could set XO for your subwoofer at your AVR7200, e.g. 40, 50,80,....100 Hz etc. If you set it to say 80 Hz, your receiver will send (via the subout) anything from 80 Hz down to your sub. If your sub has a plate amp with XO adjustment, you should disable it, or hook up your AVR7200 subout to the unfiltered input at your sub if your plate amp has such input. This is to avoid double filtering. If your DIY sub does not use a plate amp then you may have nothing to worry about. Again, as you know, the XO for the "sub" is set at the AVR.

As for the LFE, I could be wrong, but I thought it refers to the LFE channel, that is, the .1 part of the 5.1 or 6.1 channel. As such, the frequencies in that .1 (or LFE) channel depends on the DVD movie itself, not your AVR. From what I read in the past, the upper end of the material in the LFE channel of typical DVD movies does not go higher than 120 Hz.

If I misunderstood what you are asking, please ignore this response, otherwise I hope I managed to clarify my point.

13. Cam McFarland

Shiu, thank you, we are on the same wave length.

To clear things a bit, I currently have a Tempest in
    an AA enclosure with a plate amp. I love it but am suffering upgrade-itis [​IMG] . I am currently constructing a sonosub with a BP1503 and have a Behringer
    EP2500 to power it with. I know nothing about "pro"
    amps as this is the only one I have ever even seen.

I was unaware how to control the XO point for the sonosub since the EP2500 has no XO.....All along I thought I had to use the XO of the plate amp on my Tempest for the LFE XO, & did not know I never even needed it until now, after I started asking questions while in the process of building
    this sonosub.

enough rambling,

Thanks for all y'alls help.....[​IMG]