LFE cutoff freq,25-31pci,DA5es

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Joy, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

My Sony DA5ES has a LFE cut off frequency from 40-200 and individual frequency xover options on all independent speakers(L

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Dan,

Sorry, your question isn't clear, or perhaps needs a little proofreading and editing.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Post edited, sorry for lack of proper brain synapses[​IMG]

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Dan,

It should not be as high as possible. Above 100Hz the wavelengths are beginning to be smaller than your room (and eventually than your head), meaning a more distinct directionality.

The use of subwoofers is based on the principle that it doesn't matter where the sound originates (or else it would be unwise to send the L/C/R and Surround information to one sub).

LFE signals are below 100Hz. Best turnover frequency for "small speakers" (allowing their bass to go to the LFE channel) is around 80Hz.

Much lower isn't wise either: probably the speakers can't produce those lower (< 80Hz) frequencies very well, so you would lose them. If I were you, I would start around 60 or 70Hz, and then play with some higher settings to hear if the lower bass increases. When it doesn't do that anymore, choose that setting.

But if possible, stay at or below 100Hz.

(This is a little bit tricky: if your sub is set too loud, any bass frequency switching from the main speakers to the sub will appear to increase; try setting it at 200Hz first and make it so that you hardly hear a difference between "small" and "wide" - except perhaps for the lowest bass).

Cees

5. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Thanks