LFE conversion

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JjSeVdT, Aug 7, 2006.

1. JjSeVdT

JjSeVdT Auditioning

I recently updated my receiver, but my new reveiver uses the LFE output, but my sub just uses regular speaker cable and I wanted to know if there was any way to convert the signal. I tried a RCA/ Speaker wire combo, but the sub was dead. i switched back because I'm moving anyway, but I want to find a cheap temporary alternative.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Just run the speaker wires to the sub as well as to your speakers...or if you have A and B speaker outs, you can use "B" for the sub. If your sub does not have it's own amp, you can (and should) pick up an external amp and send the LFE signal to that.

3. JjSeVdT

JjSeVdT Auditioning

My other option was get a new speaker set. I wanted to find a set of 5.1 speakers that has a good sub, but I'm on a really tight budget of $400. I want a powerful sub with good surround speakers. I got two JBL Monitor speakers for my mains, so I'm not TOO concerned with the satillites, but mainly the sub.

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Or you could just replace the subwoofer. $400 plus a few dollars would get you the SVS PB-10 which I'm willing to bet would be a giant step up from what you're currently using.

5. John Garcia

John
    If your current sub doesn't have it's own amp, it probably is easier to replace it. You arent' going to get a whole lot in the way of a 5.1 package for $400.

6. JjSeVdT

JjSeVdT Auditioning

Well, I was looking around last night and found a set of speakers that everyone gave really good reviews about and it's in my price range so I think I'm going to go with the athena TECHNOLOGIES Micra 6. I like the fact that they come with speaker stands and they're small so it's going to easier to move with, as I'm in the military. Thanx for the replys

7. John Garcia

John
    Micra 6 doesn't come with stands, unless you found a special deal. The sub isn't exactly going to be "powerful" as you said, but for the price it is a decent package. Unfortunately, looks like you just missed out on the deal where it was only $239 from Best Buy....