LFE and Me

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Johnson, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Ok. I dont know if this should be in 'connections' section, but this subforum gets more visitors.

I just bought two klipsch powered towers. They have a sub built in to each speaker w/ a LFE in/out. I already have a dedicated sub (the infamous sony, which also has a lfe in/out)

So, how do I go about hooking all this LFE together?

Right now I just have receiver lfe-out to sub-in.

Here is how I 'thought' it might be done. Receiver lfe/out to sony lfe-in, sony lfe-out to y-splitter to both speakers lfe-in ??

I figure this way, with my mains still set to small, all the lfe will goto the subs and to the speakers subs. Correct?

OR. Do I just daisy chain the lfe in & outs from sub,RF speaker to LF speaker?

Im confused :b

2. Kiet_H

Kiet_H Stunt Coordinator

Why don't you try a 3-way splitter..

3. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Which Klipsch do you have? I'd bet keeping the Sony sub in the loop would degrade the overall sound. If the Klipsch are half decent anyway. Maybe utilize the sub in the rear surrounds or something. What are you using back there?

4. Shane G

Shane G Agent

Brian:

I have a similar setup to yours, and have achieved the best results with my Paradigm 70P's and PW2200 subwoofer with the following hook-up.

1) connect subwoofer to LFE in on receiver as per normal

2)utilize the the line-level RCA out jacks for your left and right main speakers, and connect these to the corresponding LFE inputs on your left and right speaker sub-in's.

3)Go into your receiver subwoofer set-ups and set mainspeaker to large with the bass routed to both the sub and the mainspeakers.

4)Go to the back of your subwoofer and lower the x-over until you take out the bloatiness of the bass.

5)Adjust volumes of your speakers-subs and your subwoofer according to your taste.

This takes alot of experimentation to get the bass to sound right, it took me about a month and half to get mine setup where it can handle both music and movies with little adjustments only to the main subwoofer control on the reciever. I prefer to set the LFE setting on the reciever low on the scale, and turn the volume up on the subwoofer. This setup increases the dynamic range of the sub IMO