What's new

Lexicon MC1 Vs Anthem AVM20 (1 Viewer)

Lexicon MC1 Vs Anthem AVM20 I'm thinking very seriously of buying one of these units. The money difference doesn't matter.I was wondering what your opinions are regarding these units. Thank you for your inputs. Bob H.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
IMHO, for ease of use and features, the Anthem takes it, hands down. For sound quality and Logic7, the Lexicon wins.

The Lexicon is really two to three generations behind in terms of features. It does not include a 5.1 input, balanced inputs or outputs, or component video switching, not PLII or DD-EX or DTS-ES, to my knowledge. However, it is a great sounding unit, and Logic 7, I believe, is the best DSP program around.

The Anthem, though no stiff in the sound quality department, is not quite as refined as the Lexicon. However, you get a better menu system, balanced ins and outs, component video switching, an incredible amount of tweakability, and a 5.1 in. However, it is about a generation behind (no HDMI or DVI switching, only 2 component ins, etc). But it is still probably the best all-around price vs. performance Pre/Pro on the market right now.

For the record, I still use and Anthem AVM20, and I love it. Also, if I stated anything that was not fact in the above paras, anyone feel free to correct me.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
I have an MC1, it is a very good unit for movies. It is a quite old unit, well behind the Anthem in current features, lacking 5.1 inputs and component video switching. Logic 7 can apply post processing to DD or DTS for 7.1 output and on its own is very good.

If component inputs and multichannel music are important, you will need to add a separate video switcher and a Sony TAP-9000ES for multiple 5.1 inputs which is what I have done.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I own an AVM20 and is great. They have updated it to the latest formats (PLIIx). There is even rumor that they will offer another hardware upgrade to add HDMI switching along with the D2. So the unit might still live on.

The Anthem is also the king in features. I personally use all 4 paths, alarms, triggers etc...

But the Anthem is just a little behind in sound quality, especially in Zone 2 and 3. That is not saying that it is bad, but if you do not need all the features you are probably better off with the Lexicon.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Others have pointed out the difference in connectors the Anthem has. The other issue is sound quality. For HT use, the Lexicon will be just fine.

However, for music, the 10 year old DACs in the Lex will not sound as good as the DACs in the Anthem. Since the Lex digitizes everything that might be the tie breaker.

Thank you for your replies. I'm now going one step further here, and bringing in the Outlaw 990 Pre into the mix. I can see that Lexicon MC1 and the Anthem AVM20 are used and sort of outdated equipment.The price range for either of these is at or more than a new Outlaw 990 Pre. Am I on the right track here, or is there something else I should be looking at here? My budget for this is around the 1200.00 mark. Right now I have the B&K Ref 20, as much as I like the sound,the popping and clicking sounds are getting the best of me on HD-TV. When I hit a Dolby Digital station on my satellite and then go to another analog station, I lose sound altogether, unless select another input or turn off the unit.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Room/speaker EQ will make a bigger difference in sound by a magnitude of about 50 than other differences in the sound quality of pre/pros. Outlaw has said that they plan to incorporate a room/speaker EQ in the 990 when they have one that meets their standards. There is no guarantee this will come to pass but at least it is likely.

I would check with Outlaw and see where they stand on the room/speaker EQ. If they sound pretty positive, the 990 might be the way to go.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
At the $1200 price point, you may consider some receivers as pre-pros, Denon 3806 and Pioneer Elite 74TXVi come to mind. Also the Sherwood P965 might be an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks