1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lexicon MC1 or Outlaw 950?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John McGee, Nov 2, 2001.

1. John McGee

John McGee Auditioning

What would you recommend? A used Lexicon MC1 for $2300 or wait to buy the Outlaw 950 for $900? Is the price difference worth it or would it be better to spend the difference on other upgrades?
    ------------------

2. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Dunno. Haven't heard the Outlaw unit yet. I'm in the same boat. Used Lex MC-1/DC-2 V4 for about $1500-2500, used B&K Ref 30 for about $1800 or the Outlaw unit.
    People swear by Lex's version of Logic 7 and is worth the extra $$$ for that alone. If there is a weakness in the Lex line is the 2 channel music. I *think* there are no analog direct modes in either MC-1/DC-2. You have to go up to the MC-12 to get that function. But this is off the top of my head so don't flame me too much if I'm incorrect.
    I'm still leaning towards the Outlaw unit (due to budget) as it is new (5 year warranty!) and I'm the first owner of the unit. If it sounds really lousy then I'll go the used Lex or B&K route and will have to wait a bit more to gather more $$$ for those pre/pros as I audition them.

3. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

The MC-1 doesn't have analog by-pass for DVD-A or SACD. Logic 7 is very nice,for 2-channel, matrix, or discrete sources. In fact, I use it exclusively -- I've never even tried the THX EX setting.

4. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

If you do a search, you'll see that I asked this exact question a week or two ago and asked people to vote on which they'd choose if both were the same price. Overwhelmingly, Lexicon was the answer. Just as a point of interest, I can probably get one for you for $1975 in a week or so.
    You can drop me a note at [email protected] 30 day warranty included.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Randy G on November 03, 2001 at 09:27 AM]

5. John McGee

John McGee Auditioning

Randy G - I followed that thread; however, the prices are not the same and the Lexicon, even used is still more than double the cost of the Outlaw 950. But I believe the Lex will be tough to beat for its processing ability in home theater, I just can't decide if it's worth the extra $$'s.

6. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I stand corrected. The Lex does have analog bypass, after a fashion. It doesn't have the 5.1 analog bypasses seen on newer receivers and pre/pros (like the MC-12), but if you are really intent on having by-pass, then here you go.
    http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Lexicon/mc1/bypass.html
    And, you could also I suppose add that Sony analog pre-amp, which would allow you to have analog by-pass for both multi-channel SACD and DVD-A, plus Logic 7, all in a package that would be $6,000 or so cheaper than the only other alternative that I can think of that offers those things -- the MC-12.

7. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

ask this question again ,in march, after people have had it for a month (the outlaw)