Lexicon mc-8 test tones...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TommyL, Aug 14, 2003.

1. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

HI all...Just curious as to if you have used both avia and the internals for setup on the Lex(I currently have mine set at 75 db using internal..sub is about 79/80....which do you prefer? Going a bit deeper, when you set calibrations for say logic 7 FILM mode, does this transfer to ALL the other modes also? Back to digging in..thanks much! tom

update..I used the avia, and couldn't press myself to use 85 db's for the calibration...75 is loud enough...ya feel as if your going to blow a speaker!

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Hi TommyL,

I used the internal tones with my MC8 and they worked just fine for me. No need for AVIA or similar, IMHO with this unit.

As to your other question, if I read it correctly, there are two calibrations involved here. The general speaker calibrations which effect all modes and then the individual tweaks within each mode that let you adjust a bunch of parameters. I'm still going through the extensive menus (very intuitive once you get the hang of it) but I think that the easiest way to explain things is that when you are in the MODE ADJUST section you are only affecting the MODE chosen, and when you are in the SETUP mode you are making universal adjustments.

Make sense?

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have found that Avia and the MC-8 test tones match up fairly well. (But I always default to Avia, as that is directly the source, then I match the rears to the surrounds using the MC-8's tones.)

But, I also always use the MC-8's external test tone routine that turns off all DSP, eq, etc. If you do it that way, the test tones *do* translate correctly to any applied DSP mode.

4. Shawn Fogg

Shawn Fogg Stunt Coordinator

"I currently have mine set at 75 db using internal..sub is about 79/80....which do you prefer?"

I always use the internal tones. The Lexicons need to know the actual SPL at the listening position as they use that info to alter the 'Loudness' curve as needed based on the SPL. They also use that info in the 'Auto' Compression setting for DD material.

Shawn

5. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks guys! Man, lots of hidden gems in this thing. Robert..gotcha..thanks again! tom

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Shawn- Yeah, I always wondered how the loudness function would work with different efficiency speakers...

I suppose you could use the internal tone to "reference" each speaker, and then use Avia to make sure that "source to speaker" for each channel is also balanced between each other.