What's new

Lexicon MC-8 Scenario... (long) (1 Viewer)

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I've recently had the bug to upgrade again. My current system consists of a Marantz SR-18 receiver, Linn Genki CD player, Revel M20/B15 fronts and PSB center and rears. I am much more picky in 2-channel than in surround. I've had the urge to add 7.1 to my system, as well as adding external amplification to improve my 2-channel listening.

The dealer that I have a long-standing relationship with carries none of the entry to mid-level separates... his product goes from Marantz/Yamaha receivers to Bryston/Lexicon separates... no Rotel, etc. in betweeen. Now you're probably saying go buy somewhere else... but this guy works hard to give me unbelievable deals. Right now he is seeing what he can do for me on a Lexicon MC-8, which is WAY beyond my price range.

My main question is this: Does the MC-8's amazing D/A processing make my Linn Genki CD player redundant? The CD player is new, and bought from this same dealer, so it's likely I could get nearly full credit for it back on trade. If I plug a reliable transport (perhaps a NAD 541i or similar) into the MC-8 with a digital connection, am I likely to be pleased? I love my Linn... but an analog connection to this Lexicon seems wrong to me somehow... particularly given it's digital strengths. Advice appreciated!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm in no position to comment on your Linn Genki. But if you want to keep it, the MC-8 offers analog passthrough.

If I plug a reliable transport (perhaps a NAD 541i or similar) into the MC-8 with a digital connection, am I likely to be pleased?
Most people are, but only you can decide what's most pleasing to your ear.

M.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have an MC-8. I actually *was* going to get a used MC-1 and the Sony P9000ES, but when I talked to my dealer, he talked me into the MC-8. Yes, not inexpensive, but I've had mine for about 2.5 weeks now, and you can't wipe the smile off my face.

Check out the Lexicon section of www.smr-forums.com for a lot more info.

BTW, I believe that Lexicon runs the DACs in the MC-8 in dual differential mode at least for 2 ch listening. Plus, they use the same DACs that the Anthem AVM-20 uses: AKM. I preferred the Burr Browns in my DV47ai to the Cirrus DACs in the Outlaw 950. But it's a toss up betweem the BB's and the AKMs...

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Good to know Kevin. I suspect the quality of the DACs in the Lexicon makes the Linn redundant. Trading it back towards the Lexicon may be the right way to go.

gregD

Second Unit
For a little less $ than the MC-8 alone, you might consider adding the Bryston BP-25 pre and the 4B-SST (300 x 2) to your existing system, if your main goal is enhancing 2-channel material... you've got a quality CD player that you seem happy with... the only thing that wouldn't be addressed is a move to 7.1.

If you've got money to burn, go Lex... hook up your CD player both ways, and experiment between the DACs.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,

No, I don't have money to burn. heh. I wouldn't have ever considered the MC-8, but my dealer is going to try and work a miracle. I was just thinking that trading the Linn back could help me afford the Lex.

I have considered adding a pre-amp and amp (or an integrated) to my system to enhance my two-channel experience. For some reason though, I've got the itch to try 7.1. Go figure. Now I'm trying to get it all in one box. The majority of reviews claim that the Rotel 1066 and Anthem AVM 20 sound great in analog bypass. As I said though, my dealer doesn't have anything in that class of product... so he's seeing what he can do on the stuff he does carry. We'll see what happens. I'd be really surprised if he can get the Lex anywhere near my price range though. Although with trade-ins factored in, who knows what he can do.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Be careful: the 1066 has the "double bass" problem with the 5.1 analog inputs that cannot be bypssed unless you add $249 and the Outlaw ICBM. More on it as www.htguide.com. You can get rid of it, but you have to cut 2 resistors on a board inside. Stupid design. There is a new $2k list Integra pre/pro coming that I would recommend head and shoulders above the Rotel because of this. The Integra says it's using 32 bit processors, and the only 32 bit processor I know of is ... Sharcs... :)

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not really concerned about the 5.1 inputs. I have no interest in multi-channel music (at least not as it stands presently).

I inquired about the Integra, and was told it would be about $3500 CDN (which is a horribly inflated price considering the present exchange rate) and the dealer said Canada would be lucky to receive the unit before the fall. He proceeded to tell me the Pioneer Ultra2 receivers would be better than the Integra anyway. I'm sure he's compared both extensively too. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks