What's new

Lexicon mc-8 / dvd-a question.... (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Finally received my rhino audio cables, and am anxious to get some dvd goin, but I have hit a snag in the Lex...I have analog cables(6) going from the denon 1600 to the audio inputs in the middle of the Lex (6 spots dotted line) but can't seem to find the proper setting to unleash the music..I can get it at 48khz but its optical(rumours F. Mac) I've read and tried different settings..nothin...Id like to have it separate from DVD1 ..is that possible? Maybe dvd2 etc? I am just logging to try and find out more info...and thought I'd drop this now incase Shawn/ john or the other Lex gang are on for a quick answer:)P Off to search...:) tom...once I get this setup..I'm sitting down and mastering this thing..anyone have time to buy???

Well, I think I found the answer, but feel free to make sure I have the settings correct:) Sounds great! But now my a/d red light is flashing every few seconds...Troubleshoot says a/d converter is overloaded...any ideas? Off to search! thanks! tom

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Do you have the Lex configured for two 5.1 inputs? Then you have to tie the middle 5.1 analog set to a source.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Kevin..I am only trying to setup dvd2...I have the following settings....dvd2-->digital off---> analog3 on. In the lcd screen it shows ANLG, but no khz...sounds great...but now I am a/d overloading...which in AVS(thxs Mr. Fogg) found out you have to set the analog level to manual and drop the DB's a bit...(i went to -4) so does this mean I can't play at any high volumes on dvd-a...I guess I'm a bit confused on the proper settings..I seem to have it right..but maybe I am missing something else...As far as inputs go, dvd1 is digital/optical...(xbox and cd use) sound correct or is there a better way? Last thing I want to do is wreck it:)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I see that yopu made your way over to SMR. :) Hopefully someone over there can help. The overload is strange in that the DVD-A/SACD output from my player is definitely lower than that my other analog sources, so shouldn't present a problem...

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This not always going to worry everybody but:

If the Lexicon is converting its analog inputs to a digital format and its not at least 96kHz/24bit, then you're not hearing everything on those dvd-audio discs (epsecially the 192kHz stereo format). And your observation "But now my a/d red light is flashing every few seconds..." makes me think it is converting to a digital format.

And any type of conversion to any other format never helps the sound--there is always some degradation of the original signal.

Admittedly hi-res sound improvements can--depending on good the rest of your system is--range from very subtle to quite noticeable. But since the improvements are delicate no matter what, one must be careful as to how they are handled.

LJ

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>If the Lexicon is converting its analog inputs to a digital format and its not at least 96kHz/24bit, then you're not hearing everything on those dvd-audio discs (epsecially the 192kHz stereo format).<

Lance,

the Lexicon IS 96/24; but there is a slightly audible loss on conversion. Even a 192/24 ADC I heard in a lab demo caused (barely perceptible) audible change.

Marty

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Marty:

Even a 192/24 ADC I heard in a lab demo caused (barely perceptible) audible change.
Don't tell that to the Mark Levinson folks. ;) The new $30,000 processor of theirs has NO analog pass-thru. Everything is converted to digital, even the 5.1 analog inputs...

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck,

>Don't tell that to the Mark Levinson folks.<

I don't have to. Mark Levinson, themselves, point out that the #40 is not the audio equivilent of their reference series. Nonetheless, it is a superb-sounding piece of equipment.

However, the ML #40 doesn't allow you to override reequalization when playing THX Surround EX, even if the track is normalized for home equipment. And, as an almost infinitely upgradable set of processors, this $30k purchase can end up costing enormously more by the time you have configured it to work in your ht.

Marty

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Thanks Kevin and co. I have figured it out per a few helpful people at SMR forums(your right Kevin..I made it there) Seems as though my audio configuration was "reset" which shouldn't happen..whether it be unplugged, or what-not...although the wife is here:) I think it sounds amazing to say the least, and anyone wondering if its worth it to grab the mc-8, one word..yes! Thanks much! tom

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The Lexicon MC-8 does not, and cannot digitize the 5.1 analog input. No ifs, ands, or buts, about it. (Only the MC-12 can do this.) Tommy- Methinks you might not have that middle set of connections not correctly set to a 5.1 analog set, but you still might be in 2 ch land, where the Lex *will* digitize them. ??

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Kevin..what brought that up? I just went through my setup on dvd2, and if reads, digital no, analog3, 2ch--->L7music, and the rest set to L7 music...How can I tell...I am now familiar with the setup portion...and could follow the steps to check..I think I'm right...let me know bud! thanks much! tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks