lexicon mc-12b...great deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Karl L, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Karl L

Karl L Agent

Been offered a fairly good deal on a new Lexicon MC-12b from a mutual friend, have until tomorrow evening to decide on it (someone else is ready to pounce on it if I don't). I can get the unit for $4400 after trading in my Pioneer Elite 49-tx. The problem is that I haven't had the opportunity to demo the Lexicon in my house yet. What I heard at a local dealers sounded great, but who knows how it will all work out with my gear. The seller doesn't want to open up the Lex as he would obviously prefer to sell it as brand spankin' new.

I'm currently using a Theta Dreadnaught amp, the Pioneer 49tx as a pre, B&W N804's and an HTM1 up front, and DefTech powered towers in the sides and rear. The main improvements I'm looking for are clearer center channel dialog that doesn't sound as boxed in, and a deeper soundstage in 2 channel listening (right now I'd say its plenty wide, with great central imaging, but little depth). If the change in sound will be minimal with the Lex I'd rather hold onto my cash, however the deal does sound fairly tempting and time is running out. If I decide to wait I could always pick up the Integra pre, however the price would be very close to the Lex. Any suggestions?

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Are you nuts? Don't pass on that deal -get the MC-12.

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I have to agree with Camp on this one, especially considering the rest of your system. I would be absolutely shocked, more than shocked, if you don't get a significant improvement. Go for it.

-rob

4. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I would buy it hands down.

5. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

IMHO, it depends on what you paid for the Pioneer.

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Also, you need quality XLR balanced interconnects between it and the Theta amp. This will improve the sound and lower the noise floor. Will even make it harder to develop a ground loop hum.

Dan

7. Rob_Z

Rob_Z Extra

he said he had until tomorrow, his post was July 13th. The only one we need to here from is Karl, like, what did he do????