What's new

Lexicon MC-12 VS. Proceed AVP Dilemma (1 Viewer)

GermainW

Grip
HT under construction/installation with the following to be installed:

-B&W 802 (fronts), HTM1 (center), SCM1 (rears)

-Revel S30 (sides)

-Proceed AMP5

-Proceed HPA2

-Proceed AVP

-Revel B15 (a pair)

To make my life more complicated, the dealer called the other day to offer an "upgrade" from the AVP to the new Lexicon MC-12, which had just recently arrived in Singapore.

For an extra (roughly) USD2,700, the dealer is willing to swap the AVP for the MC-12. Sure sounds tempting... (talk about a severe case of the upgradavitis--our gear hasn't even been installed yet!)

Should I? Should I not?

Usage for the new HT is probably going to be 80% movies and 20% music. (I hear that for 2-channel music listening the AVP may be better than the Lex, but for 7.1 channel processing, the Lex is KING. True?)

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Why are you getting B&W everything except for the sides??
Also, what's your sub gonna be??
Seems like dual SVS SS would hit the spot :D

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
It's a no brainer, get the MC-12. AVP is a nice piece, but I don't think it can hold it's own to Lex's newest offering. That's not mentioning the slow upgrades for the AVP. I don't know the status of that. But in general, they have been slow-
Don't get me wrong though, I own the HPA-2 and AMP5 and love them both, but that's amps, no programming involved there. :)
Lex

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
This is shaping up to be one heckuva theater. Now add that MC-12 to it and you'll be all set (and the SVS subs someone else mentioned). I'm also curious why you're using Revel speaks instead of B&W.

GermainW

Grip
Why Revel S30 for the side surrounds? To be honest, it wasn't my choice. My dad signed the invoice before I made it back to Singapore on time. I was a bit miffed, cuz' he had told me that he'd put me "in charge" of the new HT (I thought the best part of my trip would be the shopping and auditioning) but he couldn't wait for my return!! Anyway, this is what we're stuck with...

Spoke to the dealer who designed our HT, he said he recommends using dipoles for the side surround, but since B&W's dipole offering doesn't measure upto the Revel's S30, he picked the Revel. I was (am still) a little worried about timbre matching (actually I asked this question in this forum a few weeks back but no one seemed to think this was going to be a problem).

We'll see if it sounds good in a few weeks!

BTW, the sub is going to be the Revel B15 (2 of them).

Keir H

Second Unit
All I can say is that you are soooo lucky! Happy listening. I am partial to Lexicon too. Should not have to worry about future prooofing either since they stand by their products so well. Good luck.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If the timbre match proves to be less than ideal...you can sometimes adjust for that with careful use of a quality EQ. One of those 7 channel RANE or Audiocontrol units might work.

As far as the processor...I've been a Lexicon man for year...so I would show my bias and say the MC-12.

TV

GermainW

Grip
Thanks for all the input. Looks like we've got a unanimous decision here.
And the winner is.....................
the MC-12!
Just called the dealer... he's putting one on reserve!
All along in my heart I guess I knew this was going to be it, just needed an extra push. :D

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I can't wait to hear how this theater sounds! You (and your Dad) are putting in some really great equipment, and I wish you good luck with it.

Please post your findings once it's completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks