Lexicon MC-12 Two Channel Bypass Mode

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David-TF, Nov 7, 2003.

1. David-TF

David-TF Agent

HI All, Does anybody know if subwoofer(s) can be used in the MC-12b 2 channel bypass mode? Thanks.

2. Andy Bell

Andy Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi David,

I have the MC-12B and no the sub(s)can not be used in 2 channel bypass mode. This is a feature I wish it did have and made the request for this feature to Lexicon when I bought it last year. I must tell you though that in the time I have had my MC-12B I have found myself listening to music mostly using Logic 7.

Andy

3. David-TF

David-TF Agent

Thanks Andy, I am strickly 2 channel. How is this units 2 channel stereo performance?

4. Andy Bell

Andy Bell Stunt Coordinator

David,

I am more than happy with the MC-12s 2 channel performance. Some people seem to have issues with Lexicon and 2 channel,especially with their older processors. My only experience is with the MC-12 and I think it sounds great.

5. David-TF

David-TF Agent

Thanks Andy. Anymore opinions?

6. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

David,

I am a 2-channel purist going back to the 1950's. Earlier Lexicon products had been disappointing in their reproduction of high-quality analogue source material. However, with the MC-12, I feel that Lexicon has finally produced a truly musical preamp. In 2-channel by-pass mode the unit is, for all practical purposes, a straight-wire.

When listening to my turntable, I am more than pleased to hear the warmth of the record come through a modern solid-state unit. When you switch to digital processing to activate the sub(s)through speaker size control, the difference is barely perceptible. However, I still prefer the bypass mode for LP reproduction.

For other sources, including classical music on FM, I find myself using L7 music mode. It does an excellent job of recreating the original ambience (possibly because so many recordings are made using Lexicon commercial processors).

However, $9000 is an exorbitant price for a 2-channel preamp. The highest quality reproduction of movie soundtracks and exceptional flexibility in playback options caused the MC-12 to end up as my final choice.

I hope this helps.

Marty

7. David-TF

David-TF Agent

Thanks Marty,
    I'm looking for the best of both worlds in 2 channel and in HT.