What's new

Lexicon MC-1 Review (1 Viewer)

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Good point Shawn. Will the ICBM do the trick or is something else preferred ?

I guess I will purchase a crossover, all that leaves is the decision whether to put the two svs's on the two front channels crossed over with the tower nht 2.9s or use the svs's crossed over with the side vs2.4 speakers..hmm

I know using the subs on front will enable me to use on all sources including two channel, but then again I might get a better effect with bass enhance on side speakers.?

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
John,

The ICBM should work (it does have stereo subs) but you will only be running 2 channels through it.

"but then again I might get a better effect with bass enhance on side speakers.?"

Possibly, you might also be able to run the subs off the fronts (so they are active in 2-channel) but actually position them at the sides. You will have to experiment with that though and see how they blend.

Shawn

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
John:

Many quality stereo-only crossovers cost more than an ICBM. The ICBM gives you 6 high quality crossovers for only $250. Yes it will work, and yes it is worth it.

Rich B.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Running the SVSs + mains off the front outputs, physically positioning them beside you at the sides of the room, and running front = LARGE, the rest SMALL, and sub OFF might be interesting.

You'd get the right behavior for 2-channel (front bass is not lost because there is no internal cross-over applied), multi-channel (bass is redirected to any LARGE speakers), and bass-enhance (Bass Enhance affects the phase of monural bass coming from each speaker, but not the routing so the right thing would happen there. Bass Enhance depends on lateral differences in phase which will be most noticeable with the speakers next to you which will also be the case).

The draw back to this configuration would be loosing time alignment between the subs and rest of the system.

You'll have lots of fun and/or go nuts tweaking a Lexicon :)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
WOW,

I mini thread within my review thread. Excellent though. I need to get the Bass Enhance working.... Great Info guys!!!!

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
With My setup(80 hz sides and 40 hz fronts along with 120 hz backs) I figured I couldnt take advantage of bass enhance so I never even enabled it untill today. There is a VERY noticable difference in logic 7 and music 7 (I have only tried music so far} with bass enhance engaged. The musics foundation opened and sounded more solid, also for some reason the voices seemed to have more body.I much prefer bass enhance on and can only imagine what I will hear when I can truely take advantage by adding side subs!
I was so tempted to get small side subs NOW that I even went down to circuit city and stood in front of the velodyne ct-100 debating with myself whether to purchase two of these or not(knowing I could get them cheaper online} MUST show restraint, HAVE to show restraint :angry:

Chris Zell

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I think the ICBM is great, and the extra crossover channels are not necessarily wasted. Here's why I say this:

THe ICBM has 12 or 36 dB Butterworth lowpass (sub) slopes which are selected via a rear panel switch. The highpass is 12dB only. Gee, don't you wish they had 4th order (24dB)Linkwitz-Riley available? Well, a 4th order L-R at a given frequency is equivalent to 2 cascaded 2nd order Butterworths at the same frequency. So simply cascade 2 ICBM inputs for each channel. And use others for buffers if desired.

I also want to have independent frequencies for my low and high pass points, so I am going to use my ICBM in the following way:

-Fronts set to large in pre.

-All others channels set to small (varying frequency cuttoffs)

-L front pre out split(y-cable) to ICBM front L(set to f=60 Hz) and center(bypass) inputs.

-R front pre out split(y-cable) to ICBM front R(set to f=60 Hz) and rear surround(bypass) inputs.

-surround pre outs to surround amplifier line in.

-L and R front ICBM outputs to ICBM L and R surround inputs (both to 60 Hz).

-L and R surround ICBM outputs to Main L and R amplifiers

-Center and rear surround outputs to subwoofer line inputs (remember, these are actually full range L and R signals)

Thus I have 2 cascaded 60 Hz Butterworth LP for L and R - therefore 4th order (24dB) Linkwitz-Riley HP crossover. And I have a full range signal to the sub, where I can independently set frequency, etc. for the lowpass.

I personally have had better luck when I can vary the HP and LP independently just a little

Did that make any sense?

Cheers,

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks