Lexicon MC-1 or B&K 30

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Ball, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Just curious on positives and negatives between the two, I can get a brand new B&K for $2049 or a used MC-1 for $2499. What do you guys think? If it helps see my signature to see the rest of my equipment.

Craig

2. JackIR

JackIR Stunt Coordinator

I use to have a Yamaha RX-V1 and sold that for the Ref30. It is one of the best, most flexible units for the $$$.

3. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

It should be noted that the Lexicon processors do not work with a single rear center. If your plan is to use a single rear center, you might want to skip the MC-1. OTOH, if you can plan for two speakers for the sides and two speakers for the rears, then you might want to consider the MC-1 which excels with Logic 7 in a 7.1 setup.

Michael

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Well the silly question I have is what gear do you expect to hook up to this preamp/processor? If you have analog sources, and don't want to digitize them, that rules out the MC-1.

OTOH, if everything is digital in your system, it's a different story, and the MC-1 might be worth consideration.

Either way, you've got a good solution in your hands.

Regards,

5. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

John, I left my signature in the first post so you sould see what equipment i'm going to be using. I didn't realize that the MC-1 didn't have any analog direct inputs, on the other hand the only analog sources i have right now is my tuner and vcr, wouldn't digitizing these just make it better?

Craig

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Craig,

You'll have to digitize to get to DPL or DPL-2 anyway.

I was referring to something along the lines of SACD/DVD-A or the turntable that's also listed.

If you wanted to, B&K makes a phono stage that also includes an A/D converter, running at 24bit/96K.

Regards,