What's new

Lexicon MC-1 & Logic7 (1 Viewer)

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I am in the market for a real pre/pro to replace my 898. I originally wanted a Rotel 1066 but the method in which the unit is distributed causes me personal angst ...... which is not, by the way, the subject of this thread.

I have come across a mint Lexicon MC-1 v.4 at a very very reasonable price. Does anyone have any experience or opinion on Lexicon's Logic7 processing in this unit or a lessor Lexicon product? Is it as good as or even close to the hard coded 7.1 processing I enjoy today with DTS ES and Dolby EX?

I know Lexicon is pretty good stuff but I don't want to take a step back.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Do a search on Logic7. There have been many prior discussions.
Is it as good as or even close to the hard coded 7.1 processing I enjoy today with DTS ES and Dolby EX?
You must have access to things the rest of us don't know about. :) There's no HT software with "hard-coded" 7.1. There are only a few dozen titles with "hard-coded" 6.1 in DTS-ES Discrete. The rest of it is 5.1 -- in some cases with an extra rear channel matrixed into the left and right rears.
M.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
You are right Michael.

I said hard-coded 7.1 because the Onkyo spits the 6 channel out 2 times in a 6th and 7th channel. Which is 7.1 to me.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
" Is it as good as or even close to the hard coded 7.1 processing I enjoy today with DTS ES and Dolby EX? "

Nope, it is better.

BTW, a V4 Lexicon has THX Surround EX decoding as well as DTS ES decoding... it was the first product on the market to support them. You can compare them back to back against Logic 7.

Shawn

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Which is 7.1 to me.
The notation "X.Y" refers to "X" discrete channels of sound and "Y" channels of LFE. While it is perfectly possible for hardware manufacturers to add as many outputs and amplifier sections as they wish, and thereby claim to have "7.1" or "9.2" or what-have-you, the coding on the software has relatively few variations: 5.1 for DD, DD EX and DTS-ES Matrix, with 6.1 on DTS-ES Discrete. That's what "hard-coded" into the software; everything else is post-processing.
M.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Basically, I was asking how Logic7 compares to its Dolby and DTS couterparts.

Regardless, I did the search here and a couple other places and .......Dude, I'm getting a Lex.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You won't be sorry. I've been so happy with Lex's Logic7 that I've never even bothered to upgrade my MC-1's software to the version that supports DD EX. :)
M.

Larry Chanin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bill:

I've got an MC-1 and I feel that with its Logic 7 surround processing the Lexicon was the single most significant improvement in my home theater setup.

I have version 4 software which, as Shawn mentioned, includes the other EX "6.1" surround processes, but I prefer Logic 7 to them.

As Michael pointed out Logic 7 will create 7.1 channels in post processing from 5.1 discrete channels. It will also create 7.1 channels from just a stereo signal, something the other popular surround processes,including Dolby Pro Logic II, can't do. (The MC-1 doesn't have DPL II.)

For some folks who want to listen to 5.1 music, a major down-side of the MC-1 is that it doesn't have 5.1 analog bypass. This can be overcome by purchasing a suitable analog preamp to do the audio switching to your amps. Sony made the TA-P900OES. I believe it has been discontinued, but the unit is still being sold new at certain distributors for less than $500.

If you've got a good price on the MC-1, I doubt you will regret your decision.

Larry

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I was just offered an incredible deal on an MC1 and went back to it in a heartbeat. (I had the Mc1 before the Outlaw 950) I sold my Outlaw 950 which was a great piece for the money. Tweakability and better Sonics including Logic7 were my leaning factors in going back to the MC1.....

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Steve- You lucky guy... :)
I had looked at the DC-2 and MC-1 before I got my 950. I am happy enough with the 950. But...
Just a question: Logic 7 more important? Or 5.1 analog passthrough for SACD/DVD-A? (Maybe I'm asking the wrong crowd... :D)
Over Christmas (thanks Santa), I will be converting my system from 6.1 to 7.1. (I have an early 90's Shure DPL processor with a "mono" mode that does some type of decorrelation that I'm going to try for kicks on the 2 mono rears the 950 puts out.)
I have 2 SACDs (Stones, so they are hybrids) and 1 DVD-A. And probably over 500 CDs....

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Kevin,
Logic7 for sure.... My larger theater is strictly used for movie viewing and High Def Sat... So I have no need for the Analog Bypass for SACD or DVD-A....
Though......
I really need to get back to SACD... I own around 20 SACD's..... I have had 3 players that offered it, problem is I sell gear like people drink water, and currently don't have a SACD player... :frowning: I would be doing the Music in my smaller bedroom pad.... :)

Larry Chanin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Kevin:
As I alluded to in my previous posting you can have both if you purchase the Sony Analog preamp.
But if the Sony was out of the question, I'd have to echo Steven's response and go for Logic 7 since home theater is my primary interest.
Larry

alex tan

Auditioning
I am thingking to buy MC1. Anybody can tell me where is
the best place to buy it with a great price? and also
how much the price for new or used?
Thanksssss.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Alex:

Buy in the used market. Expect to pay between 2,000 and 2,500 (though I'd hold out for the lower end of theat range).

Ron

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
The used market is definitely the way to go.... Let the first owner of the unit take the big hit in price.... The Version 4.0 Loaded retails for 6k, and I would suppose the selling price is around 4500..... Buying it used at less than half of that price is a score..... Considering how good this unit sounds and performs....

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Sorry to abandon my own thread but I changed my mind pulled the trigger on a B&K Ref50.

That being said, I found several near mint MC-1s for $1800 - $2200 before my double-cross. I also found the JBL Synthesis branded version of the MC-1, SPD-3, to be cheaper than the Lexi. All of these units had at least a couple years of valid transferable warranty left on them.

But, I got killer deal on the Ref50.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Bill,

Sounds like a great choice... Let is know how it turns out, and we look foward to a review....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks