What's new

Lexicon DC-1 vs Rotel 1066 (1 Viewer)

Michael_V

Second Unit
I have narrowed it down to these two to pair with my Parasound 1205 amp and Paradigm Monitor/Reference speakers. Both seem to be available for around $1200. Which way would you go?
Discuss. . . . ;)

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
@ michael,

i believe a guy asked the same question a couple weeks ago, so you might want to try the search function. if i remember correctly this thread was going about 10:1 with votes for the lexicon decoder. i got a lexicon mc-1 myself and the one and only decoder i would be willing to trade this item for is the lex mc-12 or the upcoming lex mc-8. but since i don't care at all about an analog 5.1 input, along with dts es discrete, i believe i will stay with my mc-1 for a long long time.
my conclusion:

once you had a lexicon, you will always have a lexicon.

regards, holger

Michael_V

Second Unit
How interesting will things get if I add the Anthem AVM-20 to the list of contenders? How do you think this stacks up against the other two?

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I now have the Lexicon MC-1 again... I switched over to the Outlaw 950 when it came out, and now had to go back..... 7.1 Audio with the Lex just can't be matched by other pieces....They come close, but don't sound like the Lexicon. Logic7 is also worth it's weight in gold....

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"How interesting will things get if I add the Anthem AVM-20 to the list of contenders? How do you think this stacks up against the other two?"

I think things get very interesting, but now you are talking about a price point at least double where you were before ($1200). For double that amount, the AVM-20 should be considered along with the B&K Ref50 and the Sunfire Theater Grand III (I think it is in this price range). Also, the Lexicon MC-1 deserves serious consideration.

Michael

alan_dana

Agent
Hey, the original poster was asking about the 1066 vs the DC-1, not the MC-1. I suspect he is trying to keep his cost down to $1300 or less.

I would take the 1066 over the DC-1 as I would hate to give up so many features. DTS discrete 6.1, 7.1 preamp inputs, component video switching, future software updates, 5 year warranty, and DPL2. And this is assuming that the DC-1 has every upgrade or the missing features list grows longer.

The DC-1 was an excellent piece, but is getting a bit dated now. It will soon be 7 years old, and that's a long time in the fast moving word of A/V processing. If there were the possibility of further updates then maybe.

Now the MC-1 is a different story.

Alan

Michael_V

Second Unit
Yes, I agree it was unfair of me to include a piece of equipment costing twice the others. What I am interested in learning, though, is whether that increased price translates to increased performance? Would a $1200 Lexicon DC-1 or Rotel RSP-1066 compare favorably to a $2500+ Anthem or are we really talking apples and oranges here?

Oh by the way, thanks, Alan, I am the original poster and was looking at peri-$1200 price point, but now I have introduced more expensive candidates, so all bets are off!

I have to add that I am fairly convinced of the Lexicon's auditory prowess but am put off a bit by its dated appearance, especially compared to the sexier units coming out today. Guess I am just a philistine in this regard!

alan_dana

Agent
Getting the AVM-20 w/upgrade from an authorized dealer for $2500 would be an EXCELLENT deal. My local dealer won't go below $3100.

I regard the AVM-20 as a significant step up from the 1066 & DC-1. The overall build quality is much better. It uses better parts. Upgradability is achievable via both software and hardware. The measurements I've seen on it were excellent.

Rotel generally delivers very good quality for the price, typically quality that can compete with gear from others at twice the price. Anthem also tends to be a bit underpriced as compared to some other higher-end brands. So these are two brands that tend to price their items fairly. Given this, I don't expect a $1500 Rotel piece to be able to match the performance of a $3500 Anthem piece.

Where the price/performance curve intersects is hard to say. It comes down to how demanding you are. Some people are quite willing to pay 100% more for 10% better performance, as they aren't happy with anything less. Just like some people will gladly pay $40K for a BMW over $25K for a Honda Accord V-6. In most ways, the BMW is not 60% better than the Accord, indeed, in some ways the Accord is better. If they value the driving experience of the BMW and can afford the difference, then they pay.

To many people the Rotel will sound extremely similar to the Anthem. But to others the little extra clarity, the better separation, the extra flexibility in the setup options is worth the difference. You really can't go wrong as all of the options you've listed are good ones.

Alan

Michael_V

Second Unit
Great response, Alan! Very well-thought out and helpful. It is hard to know where I am on that curve, though I seem to tend toward the BMW side of things.
I will let you all know what I decide. Right now the Anthem is looking pretty good. ;)

Philip Brandes

Stunt Coordinator
Alan,

The problem with your analysis is that it assumes an apples-to-apples comparison among features and performance. This obscures the importance of Lexicon's proprietary Logic 7 processing, which as a previous poster mentioned is quite unique, and orthogonal to the other features under discussion. The importance of this feature cannot be overestimated; for the overwhelming majority of Lexicon owners it is the most significant benefit of these processors. It is not a matter of a slight refinement in sound quality between, say, a Rotel and an Anthem. It is not even comparable to Pro Logic II (a simple toggle comparison on an MC-12 will reveal the obvious differences). Ideally, one should experience Logic 7 and what it does for both music and movies before making a purchasing decision (or offering an analysis of the trade-offs between Lexicons and other processors). It really is that big a deal.

Cheers,
Philip Brandes

Michael_V

Second Unit
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the newest software for the AVM-20 included Logic 7. Am I wrong?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the newest software for the AVM-20 included Logic 7. Am I wrong?"

Yes. Only Lexicon and HK products have Logic 7 that I am aware of (also JBL pro series?).

Michael

Philip Brandes

Stunt Coordinator
"Yes. Only Lexicon and HK products have Logic 7 that I am aware of (also JBL pro series?). "

The version of Logic in the Harman receivers is crippled, with no adjustable parameters (an important part of this feature). JBL only offers Logic 7 in the rebadged Lexicon processors in its Synthesis system, whihc costs more and is only sold as a complete system.

Cheers,
Philip Brandes

Michael_V

Second Unit
Ah yes. The Anthem has "Anthemlogic" not logic 7. This is important. The AVM-20 I am currently considering is used, as well, without the newest software/hardware updates, so it doesn't even have that! Decisions, decisions. . . .

Daniel Lindgren

Stunt Coordinator
Just like some people will gladly pay $40K for a BMW over $25K for a Honda Accord V-6. In most ways, the BMW is not 60% better than the Accord, indeed, in some ways the Accord is better. If they value the driving experience of the BMW and can afford the difference, then they pay.
Good analogy. But wait, I own a BMW and a Rotel 1066 ...
:D

Michael_V

Second Unit
I found a Lexicon MC-1 v4.0 for $1800. Would you guys consider this a no-brainer? Or is the Anthem AVM-20 v 1.12 still in the running?

Philip Brandes

Stunt Coordinator
"I found a Lexicon MC-1 v4.0 for $1800. Would you guys consider this a no-brainer? Or is the Anthem AVM-20 v 1.12 still in the running?"

It's a no-brainer if you like what Logic 7 does. If you're more concerned with SACD/DVD-A then you need a pre/pro with 5.1 analog inputs.

Cheers,
Philip Brandes

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Michael,
I found a Lexicon MC-1 v4.0 for $1800. Would you guys consider this a no-brainer? Or is the Anthem AVM-20 v 1.12 still in the running?"
As Philip alluded to, it depends on your requirements. Some people must have Logic 7, so it would be the MC-1 for them.

What the AVM-20 gets you that the MC-1 doesn't have is 5.1 analog inputs, 2 channel analog bypass mode, component video switching, a tuner, balanced outputs (true balanced, but not full differential), one analog balanced input, one digital balanced input, and balanced outputs to the 2nd zone. If you get an AVM-20 with v2.x hardware and software, you will also get DPL II and THX Ultra 2.

Determine what you need and what your preferences are, audition both processors if you can (and others), and then make an informed decision.

Good luck,

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Michael,
The AVM-20 I am currently considering is used, as well, without the newest software/hardware updates, so it doesn't even have that! Decisions, decisions. . . .
That reminds me of something that might sway you to the Lexicon. Lexicon allows the transfer of the MC-1's 3-year warranty if sold to someone else, providing the seller has a dated receipt for the original purchase. Even if you don't get a dated receipt, Lexicon will honor the warranty 3 years from the date of manufacture. OTOH, Anthem does not allow the transfer of the AVM-20's 5-year warranty from one owner to the next. Only the original owner gets the AVM-20's warranty.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.