1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Lexicon DC-1 vs. DC-2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron E. Smith, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

Howdy folks,
    I'm back for another round of advice. This time I am thinking about the possibility of replcaing my beloved Lexicon DC-1 with a DC-2. It seems to me that since the MC-12 has appeared, prices have dropped in such a manner that selling my DC-1 and buying a DC-2 would be relatively inexpensive. Is this worth the trouble? Has anyone has the opportunity to compare the two?
    Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
    ------------------
    - Aaron
    "Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps"
    -Emo Phillips

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

What software version do you have on the 1 ?
    BTW---AVS had loaded MC-1s for 1999 a couple days ago.(just a fyi)
    TV

3. Aaron E. Smith

Oh yes, that would have been good info. to provide. Mine is a fully loaded DC-1: DD, DTS, Ver. 4 Lexicon software, etc. Basically, the DC-1 is maxed out.
    Thanks for any replies!
    ------------------
    - Aaron
    -Emo Phillips

4. Tom Vodhanel

I never heard a DC_2, but I'm wondering what the benefits of going from a v4 DC-1 to the DC-2 might project to be? You'll get some additional inputs/outputs I believe...but I'm not sure if there's going to be much sonic improvements?
    I had a chance to A/B my old DC-1(v3.1)against my MC-1 for a couple days a while back. Once levels and setting were matched...I couldn't tell any difference between them at all.And believe me...with the money I was spending along with trading in my DC-1...I WANTED to hear some sort of improvement! I ended up staying with the MC-1 for 2 reasons...I needed the 8 video inputs(and didn't want to mess with external switchers)and I wanted to have warranty coverage(which ended up being important because my MC-1 went up in a colume of black smoke about a month later).
    I'm not sure what you'd be spending for the upgrade...but you might consider other aspects of the HT that might benefit more from the investment.
    TV

5. Aaron E. Smith

Hey Tom,
    I'm not sure if there would be much of a sonic difference between the two either, but that would be what I'm looking for in an upgrade. The extra inputs are nice, but I don't need them. Basically, I'm trying to improve the sound of the system and thought that maybe the DC-2 might be better. However, judging by your experience comparing the DC-1 to the MC-1 it sounds like my original suspicions might be confirmed: there is little to be gained by switching up.
    Still, I'd like to try to get some more opinions on the subject if anyone else has another two cents to throw in. Thanks!
    ------------------
    - Aaron
    -Emo Phillips

6. Tom Vodhanel

Try the SMR forums too, there's a dedicated Lexicon forum there.
    TV