Lexicon DC-1 questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomK, Sep 14, 2001.

1. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

Mar 17, 1999
    Well it looks as if my new Sunfire Theater Grand II will be going back and I need to fill the void. A pre-owned DC-1 may fit the bill. Here are the questions:
    1. Is there speaker setting memory for each speaker mode? For Example, if I turn off the sub for stereo will it still be on for DD and DTS?
    2. THE DIN connector: I'm assuming that I can use this to trigger my amp? Can I get the cable at any Radio Shack?
    3. Full on-screen menus?
    4. Anything else?
    I guess that's it for now.
  2. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

May 10, 2001
    1. There are two places where you can turn the sub, side surrounds, and rear surrounds off or adjust the volume: in the setup menu, and in the mode parameters. Mode parameters are stored on a per-mode basis where things like AC-3 Logic 7 and DTS Logic 7 are different modes.
    IOW, you can have the sub off in 2-channel, music surround, etc; and on in all other modes. Or off in PCM modes and used only for LFE in AC-3/DTS.
    Note, however that you only get full configurability in the setup menu - it's the only place you can change cross-over frequencies and volume/time delay for each individual speaker.
    2. The DIN connector has two triggers, one which comes on when the preamp is turned on and the other which is programable on a per-mode basis (you could use this to turn on additional amplifiers for surround modes or whatever). Any good electronic shop will have the mini-DIN connector you need and the 1/8 plugs other components have; although I don't know if Radio Shack qualifies as "good."
    3. Yup.
    4.1. There are four flavors of DC-1: base, THX, AC-3, and DTS with each including functionality of the lower model. If you look a bit, you should be able to get a DC-1 DTS with the latest v4 software for under $1500. Upgrading to v4 is $300. Upgrading AC-3 to DTS with v4 is $500. Either upgrade will require a $75 surface mount chip swap at the factory for units with serial number 5125 or lower. Going from a base or THX DC-1 to DTS is $1500 so buying such a unit is not worthwhile.
    4.2. Logic-7 with 7.1 speakers is unequaled except by Logic-7 in other Lexicon processors. You _really_ want to upgrade to two pairs of surrounds if you haven't already.
    [Edited last by Drew Eckhardt on September 14, 2001 at 11:51 PM]