What's new

Lexicon announces there will be NO future upgrades for MC-1 and DC-2 (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately Lexicon will not be providing any hardware or software upgrades for its MC-1 and DC-2 processors. It was recently announced that they will focus on the new MC-12 platform, hinting that there may be new products in the future based on the MC-12's architecture. This comes as a blow to those who purchased MC-1s and DC-2s based in part on their purported upgradeability. (Technically they are upgradeable, of course, it's just that Lexicon have decided not to do it.)
I do not blame Lexicon entirely for this development but rather the entire industry which has failed to standardize a digital interface for SACD and DVD-A. The need for analog pass-through is ridiculous in today's world (IMHO), where bass management and time alignment issues should be handled by the processor, not the player. Lexicon apparently decided it was not feasible to make the necessary hardware changes to support analog bypass. It is disappointing, though, that software upgrades (such as DPL2) will not be offered, either.
I still am a Lexicon supporter, but I guess I will keep my trusted DC-1 (which was discontinued anyway) until I can afford an MC-12.
For more info on Lexicon's recent announcement, see smr-forums.com.
------------------
Home Theater Pictures
[Edited last by Brian Perry on October 22, 2001 at 12:59 PM]

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Well, as a next generation MC-1 owner (traded DC-1), I see this as a kick in the teeth personally. I can't/won't afford 4 more grand for an MC-12 upgrade, and for them to bail on what was purported as the top of the line machine, what a year later or is it two? That's uterly rediculous.
I understand that they want the latest and greatest for MC-12, but that doesn't change the fact most of us mere mortals, and those already invested to the hilt can't afford the entry fee, and to hang us out to dry is just plain wrong.
Had they not advertised and promoted the MC-1 as the cure all to upgradability and an extended platform, I might feel differently. But the fact is, it was sold as an upgradable box! Since the DC-1 was replaced by the DC-2, and that was an aging platform, I can sort of see not doing upgrades there, but the MC-1 is NOT old technology and is not being given it's just due-
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Someone needs to clue me in on why the upgrades are necessary on the MC1?
confused.gif

Its got everything one could need except for Component switching which most prefer to go straight into your TV anyway. Logic 7 is better than DPLII and DTS Discrete is a dying format out of lack of software. I think they are up to a whopping 20 titles this year. WOOOOOO
redface.gif

Someone help me out here.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
It does seem to set a precedent for how Lexicon will react to this type of situation. I'll be in the market for a processor (sometime!) and will consider Lex's MC-12. However, one of my big concerns is any products's ability to be future-proof. With the kind of money you have to spend to get this kind of product, I can see that it's reasonable for consumers to be upset when Lexicon changes its mind about its upgrade/support policy. What assurances are there that this same thing will not happen to the MC-12 in a few years if some other type of format (i.e. DVI?) changes the HT landscape? (just food for thought - not expressing any opinions here about Lexicon)
------------------
Scott

Earl_C

Agent
I predicted months ago that Lexicon would have to introduce a "little-brother" box to compliment the MC-12 so I'm not really surprised by the announcement. I mean really; did anyone who had access to the back of an MC-1/DC-2 think they were getting analog by-pass? I figured the DC-2 was at the end of it's (meaningful)upgrade rope this summer and y'know what? I bought one anyway. It still has top-notch processing and all Lexicon's exclusive proprietary modes and they don't all of a sudden sound bad now that it won't be getting analog passs-thru. And you know what else? I'd rather have the scaled-down box since I don't need all the MC-12's functions and I'm sure the sound quality is similar ala the Casanova and Meridian 568 respectively. Can anyone tell me what meaningful upgrade they were expecting on an MC-1/DC-2? Did you really think they were going to fit 5.1 pass-thru on the back of it? Have you had a look at the back of the thing lately?
------------------

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Well, 5.1 inputs aren't critical to me at this stage. But possibly software upgrades to new sound formats are.
Then give me limited upgradability, but don't tell me it's history. That's not why we spent 5-6K on this piece. Next time, Lexman will become Thetaman! lol.
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Lex,
That would require a new chip though
frown.gif

Seriously I don't see an issue with the MC1 becoming obsolete anytime soon.

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
As a Lexicon owner for several years now, I do not see the surprise with this recent statement. It happened the same way when they went from the CP to DC models. For those that have seen the rear of the DC or MC line or the inside when doing chip changes, how could you possibly think there would be room for an analog bypass? As for DPLII, is it that big of a deal, really?
According to replies from Lexicon on the SMR Forum, they are still looking into the THX Surround EX level problems and possible software upgrade. All is not lost.
Thx......Shawn
icon14.gif

Michael D

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Lexicon may have plans to introduce a processor in 12 - 18 months that the MC-1 can be used as a trade in for. This was alluded to in the official announcement I believe. Checkthe SMR lexicon for more info.
------------------

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
It seems funny now (not really) that so many people were giving some of these companies that promise an upgrade path a hard time for not delivering upgrades more quickly..when sound and vision magazine"s last issue came out I read of how the B&K's ref30 wasn't suited for audio because of the lack of "neato" dsp formats like Logic7,DPLII,ETC., however,I thought ,"gee at least the B&K has a 6 channel input for dvd-a and sacd, how can you easily add that feature to the other pre-amps reviewed?". Well now boys and girls, I've been enjoying sacd(multi-channel,prefering it to multi-channel SIMULATIONS) and never held out much hoPE THAT there would be digital decoders for these formats built in to receivers/pre-pro's anytime soon, and while I'm not sure that B&K won't "stiff" me for the upgrades as well, I'm not lookin' to change anytime soon!(and if I did than I guess I'M still a coupla grand ahead of the game...
This is not to slam anyone for buying any particular brand, more like my own personal rant against the "upgradeitis" that feeds these manufacturers desire to make obsolete their very expensive gear so they can sell us new equipment!
I guess there'll be a lot of GOOD used gear on the market soon!!!!Happy (maybe not) Hunting

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
With regard to the comment on there being some good used gear on the market in the near future, that may very well be the case. I don't think however, it'll be Lexicon. Lexicon made a decision a week ago last Monday to stop future upgrades and they did indeed allude to a new processor. After sending off somewhat of a "nastygram" to Lexicon, I received a response from Bart LoPiccolo confirming that the new piece will in fact, be a model in between the MC-1 and the current MC-12 (I think that was a given). He did not offer any details as to what it would contain or price etc. He also confirmed there would be a trade-in policy for the new piece although he has not yet responded to my request of what the allowance would be.
Having said that, my reason for the above assertion would be that (IMO) anyone dumping their MC-1 at this stage of the game would be crazy. Dumping a unit that still does a better job at processing than most others on the market just makes no sense. Especially in light of the fact we will be able to trade in the piece when the new unit is announced.
Am I absolutely frustrated and annoyed with Lexicon and their recent decision? You bet. Just on principle alone. And, I still beileve they conducted business ala "deceit by omission". If any MC-1/DC-2's have been sold since last Monday on the premise of upgradeability, you can scratch the "by omission" part.... To say something is upgradeable, however, it will be never upgraded is simply an obvious use of semantics.
For those basking in the delight of DVD-A or SACD, if your priority is multi channel music, I believe Lexicon really shouldn't have been in the running. I have said this ad infinitum, the MC-1 does a superb job at digital processing. It lacks for very little at it's price point. If you're looking for something with many "bells & whistles" and the quality of the material being processed isn't as much of a priority, then the MC-1/DC-1 isn't for you.
As another poster stated, the quality of the processor did not deteriorate with last week's announcement. They simply stated the processors would not be upgraded. Until the industry introduces formats which are no longer compatable, our MC-1/DC-2's are still amongst the best the industry has to offer.
Herb Kane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks