Lex MC1 vs Rotel 1066

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeff AW, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Jeff AW

Jeff AW Stunt Coordinator

I need some help, I am contemplating a switch... Upfront, I am not interested in component video switching. With that being said, what would I be losing/gaining if I went to the Lex MC1 v4.0 from my Rotel 1066 v1.50?? I know Logic 7 is supposed to be very good.. Right now my system is only 5.1. Are the sound differences that apparent (Yes, I know its suggestive) or is this just really a side step? Opinions anyone....

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Do you now or plan to do MC music? If so, the Rotel makes that a lot easier. The MC1 does not have 6 ch passthrough..

3. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

A Sony TAP9000ES analog preamp has 3 sets of 5.1 inputs, 1 passive, 2 active, so can have a Lex MC1/DC1/DC2 and enjoy DVD-A and SACD. Logic 7 really shines in a 7.1 setup to enhance DTS and DD sources. I have an MC1 with TAP, awesome combination. From a 1066, I would say at best you are looking at a minor upgrade in performance. I was considering the 1066 when I got my Lex last year.

4. Jeff AW

Yeah I do have a SACD player, not that I listen to it much... SO in essence its a step to the side, and if I want to keep my SACD I would have to pick up a TA-P9000ES as well... Interesting....

Jeff

5. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

For DVD/HT it will be a big increase in processing & the ability to configure the unit (Rotel 1066 is basic by comparison)esp. with Logic 7 expanding any source (PCM, 2 ch, 5.1, 5.0 etc DD and DTS) to 7.1 stereo side & rears.

If you didn't have a SACD player I would say buy the MC-1.. but since you do- buy the newer Lex's with the 5.1 inputs [​IMG]

6. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Another and cheaper alternative to the Sony TA-P9000es is the Denon AVD-2000 DD pre-pro. It has 1 set of 6 channel analog inputs and a volume control that you could use for your SACD player. Add in a couple of cheap $10 A/V switch boxes, some cables, and you're all set. The last Sony went for over $1k on ebay whereas the Denon can be had for under $200.

7. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

The Denon AVD-2000 is reasonbly good sounding unit (I have one) but it sounds quite thin, lacking in midrange. Not that great for music/music DVD's. The Lexicon L7/L7 Music outclass it though ;-) For the price it's worth it.. but that is more of a sideways move from a Rotel (downgrade if he likes the Rotel sound)

The Denon's 5.1 input is not a direct bypass- the Denon's channel/master affects the 5.1 input. This is good (for devices without volume control) and bad (not a relayed bypass like the Sony TAP bypass, or the Harmon/Kardon ADP-303 5.1 input)

If you want to use a SACD and a av pre-amp that doesn't have a 5.1 input (ie MC-1) than unfortuantly need to get the Sony TAP.

8. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

I agree but only thru the digital inputs. The 6 channel external input bypasses all internal processing and goes directly to the volume control, which is essentially what the Sony does. Is it as good as the Sony? I've never heard the Sony so I couldn't say. But I'm not willing to pony up $1000 for the Sony just to use with the Lex MC-1 - I'd rather just get the MC-8.

9. Jeff AW

Seems to me like alot of extra stuff to do, I think I would just rather spend the extra cash and upgrade rather than side grade...

Jeff