What's new

lex MC1/Sony combo TAP9000 cant be beat ?? (1 Viewer)

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I can't offer any assistance, but I think you were asking for suggestions on what would beat the MC1 & TAP-9000 combination right? I'd be curious to learn this as well.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Just when I think I have my upgrades figured out you have to throw another option in the mix:frowning: This HT addiction has way too many options. However, you do bring up a very good option for a very reasonable price. I was not able to find the price on the Sony preamp, and I've seen most Lex MC1's going for around $2500 on audiogon. Anyone know what the MSRP is on the Sony? And looking at the picture of the Sony I would hook up my Sony SACD player to one of the 5.1 channel inputs and the 2-channel analog outs to the 2-channel bypass. Then I would hook the Lex to the 5.1 bypass inputs and hit the bypass button when watching movies? And then later if I get a DVD-Audio player I would hook that up to the other 5.1 inputs? Am I making any sense at all? Just trying to figure out how to hook my system up if I went this route. Thanks for the the info and now I need to go take an aspirin as my head is spinning from all the posibilities!!!
Mike

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Mike, you got it exactly right on your hookups.

I think the sony ta-p retails for 700.00 but oadebros. an authorized sony dealer sells them for 450.00

I'v seen the mc-1 goes for as low as 2100.00 or so used but you have to snap them up when you see them.

I still haven't heard any opinions on what might beat this combo sonically for the price, assuming you dont mind a two box solution.

Anthem, Rotel, Outlaw, Integra, Pioneer 49tx, ???

Michael D

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Suggest you give the Bryston SP-1 a listen, excellent for movies and absolutely superb for music. Also upgradeable to the new SP 1.7 when it is released.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Michael, I dont know much about that the bryston sp-1. It looks like there's a little research to be done in my future..;)

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
I've gotta join this thread, b/c I've been mulling a similar set of options for my rather unique needs (no video switching, multiple analog inputs, etc.).
My current setup is (see Link Removed) is a HTPC with the Delta 410 24/96 8-channel soundcard, a Sony DB-930 receiver, and a LLano Trinity 3-channel amp powering Aria 5 kits from Speakercity. The HTPC is my source for DVD and playback of 24/88.2 wav files (I've ripped and upconverted my CD collection).
Right now, I'm running my Delta 410's analog inputs into my Sony DB930 receiver's analog inputs in direct two channel mode and it sounds pretty good.
But I know it can be better. I actually tried running the front L/R channels of the Delta directly into my LLano amp (tube/SS hybrid) was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in sound. I don't keep it hooked up this way b/c I don't need the hassle of using the Delta's volume control or of switching things back and forth. But the experiment revealed that the Sony's analog stage, even in direct mode, was degrading the sound.
So, what to do? I need the ability to decode external DD sources, and I'd like to have DPL2 for my TV viewing. But I'd also like the ability to run my HTPC's analog outs directly to my amps, or through a really good analog stage that won't degrade the sound.
So I'm currently leaning toward a Lexicon DC1 for surround processing of external sources and for Logic 7 treatment of TV, together with a Sony TA-P9000ES for analog sources like the HTPC and a SACD player. This would also give me the option of using the DACs and surround processing of the Lex for the HTPC. Oh, and I'd need another four channels of amplification for my rears and my outdoor speakers! Arrrgggghhh.
Another possibility would be a really good receiver, like the B&K AVR 305 or 307, that is known for its sound quality.
Of course, the setup gets rather complicated and the multitude of boxes would likely overrun my rack space, which is actually a rather important consideration, given that the rack is in a closet. But the setup I envision would have:
1. 5.1 analog outs from the HTPC and from the future SACD player into the two 5.1 inputs on the TA-P;
2. Digital connections from the DSS receiver and the SP/DIF from the HTPC into the Lex;
3. 5.1 pre-outs of the Lex into the 5.1 pass-through on the TA-P; 4. 5.1 outs from the TA-P into my amps.
The only complicating factor in all of this is the need to use separate volume controls for digital and analog sources and the need to ensure that the pass-through is engaged when listening to digital sources.
Realistically, this all may be too complicated and I should just get a good receiver . . .
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Ken

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Ken, I think the biggest reason for getting the P9000es would be if you are keeping your digital front end. Since you are contemplating changing that, I think you should look hard at the Outlaw 950, which will accomplish most of what you want (just buy an amp to fill out the channels). Of course, if you get an all digital preamp like the Lex, then a P9000es makes sense as well.

My setup is pretty complicated but the Pronto/Marantz remote takes care of most of the complications fairly easily. I still have a few tweaks to make but having 2 volume controls is a moot point with the Marantz RC5000 remote. The remote is easily the best $300-$400 I have spent on my system.

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
Charles:

The Outlaw might in fact be the ticket, assuming that its analog stage is up to task for SACD, etc. It certainly would be cheaper and less complicated than a Lex/Sony TA-P combo. If I needed an extra 5.1 input, then I could get one of those switchers being made by someone (SFogg?) on this forum.

Which raises the questions of what other pre-pros I should look at for (1) sound quality, (2) good analog stage, and (3) flexible bass management. No needs for video switching or 7.1.

Is that Washington, N.C., as in Little Washington? I used to live there back in 1975-76, when I was 10-11 years old. Great place, esp. for sailing and boating on the Pamlico.

Cheers,

Ken

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Yes Ken, it is Washington NC. It is a small world. I graduated high school in 75 so that makes you a young wipper snapper of about 37.

As far as other prepro's to consider, other than the Outlaw 950, your choices will be limited to receivers or higher dollar preamps like the B&K Ref 30 and the new Anthem. You should try out the 950 since you have a 30 day trial period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks