Lex MC-12B and the EAD Powermaster 1000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Christopher Lyn, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

Hi all. Once again I have a query for you. I have the EAD Powermaster 1000 amp. I know that it has a very high gain, which causes a "hiss" to be heard through speakers even if there is no signal present.

With my MC-1, there was a "hiss" that is audible but not distracting. It could be heard from about 2-4 feet away. With my MC-12B, their is a "hum" that is overwhelmingly loud. It is very distracting. I can even hear the hum, with low decibel passages from music or a DVD.

Is there a difference between the line level outputs to the amp of the MC-1 to the MC-12B?

Just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the MC-12B.

2. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Buy a cheater plug (the ones that come with three holes but only two prongs) to float the "ground". First try it on the Lex and then on the EAD. Hope this solves the hum in your system. If it doesn't take your equipment to a reputable service center.

JaimeB

3. Christopher Lyn

Well, I solved the ground loop problem from suggestions at SMR forum and AVS forum..when people were saying that it maybe from cable tv connections..a light went on in my head.

To give you a picture of my setup, I have my component rack to the left of my television. There is one outlet behind my component rack.

The stacking is as follows:

"Top"
    -S-VHS
    -Lexicon MC-12B
    -CD Player
    -Vans Evers Reference 85 Line Conditioner
    -Panasonic RP-62 DVD Player
    -EAD Powermaster 1000
    "Bottom"

I have the television cable (source) coming from the right from the basement, running to the left behind the t.v., up my component rack and to the VCR. Then, another coax cable from the VCR to the t.v.

I removed the cable from the VCR plugged it into a cable signal booster on the floor, then connected a cable from the booster to the vcr and then back to the television. This is exactly how I had the setup with the MC-1.

I forgot that I removed the signal booster when I replaced the MC-1 with the MC-12B.

No more hum..just sweet beautiful music and home theater. Now I don't know if this makes sense to anyone but it worked for me..so I am not questioning it.

I hope someone else with ground loop problem is helped by this post.

4. Jaime B

Christopher;

I'm glad all is well and good now. BTW, I don't know what speakers you own, but the Lex/EAD is one top notch combo!

JaimeB

5. Christopher Lyn

Hey thanks a lot Jaime. I have Paradigm Studio 100 v.2 for the L and R, Studio CC, and Studio 80s v.1 for the rears. I use the Servo-15 for the sub.

I have not had a chance to hear the v.3 speakers yet, but from what I have been reading, it seems that there is a discernable difference between them and the v.2.

6. Jaime B

Christopher;

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Not to bug you with such a great HT system, but the higher the rear speakers (fron the floor) even if they are floorstanders, the better the rear spatial effects. Just a friendly tip!

JaimeB

7. Christopher Lyn

Hey Jaime B,

I already got you beat. I have them about 6"-8" off the floor, with my DYI speaker stands. I didn't want to go too high for the stability factor.

I tested them on the floor and up on the stands..I definitely like them up on the stands for exactly what you have said..."better spatial effects."

Thanks.