What's new

Lex mc -1 ..will I be blown away? (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I'm having a tough time making the call on one of these...I use a marantz sr8200 right now..(studio 40's/20's/B4+ svs sub/ denon 1600 dvd player) I use it mostly for Home theater..but music is important...will a combo like sherbourn 5/5120 / lexicon mc-1 blow away my marantz, or not? I hate to waste a few hours driving before I get some good info....if the difference is subtle, I'd rethink this more...but the mc-1 is down there in price now...thoughts? My dealer here sells anthem...and integra...so the anthem avm20 is a possibility too...any info/comparisons you have done would be great thanks much..tl

Jonathann_K

Agent
I just got a used Lexicon MC-1 - upgraded from some old Kenwood reciever - the difference is amazing.. IMHO, no way you will regret your decision

Jonathann

TommyL

Supporting Actor
thanks for the input...anyone else? It is a older model...I wonderif the anthem avm20 may suit my needs better...I want the ability to listen to dvd-a also...thanks again! tl

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
tommy,

the lex mc-1 will blow your socks off, regarding in playback movie soundtracks. however, it may not fulfill your requirements in regards of music playback. the mc-1 lacks an analog 5.1 input, so dvd-a/sacd is not an option on this otherwise outstanding processor. on the other hand: the mc-1's *music logic*, *music surround* and *panorama* modes, can give you such an impressive surround presentation of all common two channel music recordings, that dvd-a/sacd in my opinion is totally unnecessary. if you have a chance to pick a mc-1 up for a good price, you should at least reconsider it twice, to take it or not.

regards, holger

TommyL

Supporting Actor
so, sell the marantz, and pick up a lexicon mc-1 and a sherbourn 5/5120 amp...(this amp sounds great with digm studios)...does the lex mc-8 allow for dvd-a? damn...now I'm in a hole!:) does the lex sound that good with cd's...using logic 7? Cuz, I'm about to drop 150 bucks on 6 cables for dvd-a...thoughts? tom

Holger

Stunt Coordinator

tommy,

yes the mc-8 is capable of playing back dvd-a/sacd since the lexicon guys spent an analog 5.1 input on this one.
the logic7 mode on the mc-1 is IMO mainly developed for the playback of movie soundtracks. of course it also can be *abused* :) for music sources as well, but i prefer the *music logic* mode by far. in the new mc-8 the *music logic* mode is now called *logic7 music* and the mc-1's *music surround* and *panorama* modes are available as well. although all those modes were rewritten by the lex designers for further improvements in channel separation, inner detail, overall performance etc. BUT: the lex mc-8 has a suggested retail price for 6000/7000 (excluding tax)dollars and you should be able to find a mc-1 for about 2000-3000 bucks (including tax), maybe even less.

the music modes on the mc-1 (like on all lex processors) are so good, that i often prefer the 2channel pcm stereo track played back in such a mode over a discrete dolby digital or dts track on some dvd's (eagles hell freezes over for example). i would strongly recommend to give the mc-1/mc-8 with a few of your favorite cd's dvd's a long and good listen. it certainly will change your idea of what you've heard to date and open your eyes (ears).

i also strongly recommend, you should consider to build a 7.1 surround system around you. even with a 5.1 system the lexicon processors beat the hell out of all the competitors in the so-called *high-end* market, but with a 7.1 logic7 optimized system you will get the brightest star and the full glory what those things are able to do, trust me on that.

regards, holger

TommyL

Supporting Actor
here we go:) I guess its worth my time to go and take a listen to both of them...its a few hours away...don't want to waste my time nor anyone elses..hence, me posting this thread. Hard for me to believe movies can come alive that much!:) thanks for the input! tom

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
tommy,

i promise, you will not waste your time. just make sure, the dealer understands what he is talking about and make sure you listen to a proper calibrated and excellent build up 7.1 system. the difference will be day and night to anything else you have heard to date. happy listening :)

regards, holger

Jonathann_K

Agent
Agree with holger above - just listen for yourself - once you go Logic 7 you will never want any other kind of DSP. I thought I would never listen to music in surround, but music logic 7 totally changed my mind.. now I dont think I will ever listen to music in 2 chan!

Jonathann

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Thanks Guys...would you say the mc-8 is leaps and bounds above the mc-1? or even the avm20? I may step up to the plate with it also...I'm trying to get 3-4 different pro's..mc-1, mc-8, anthem avm20...fun stuff...spendy too lol...grr..you guys are killin me!...tl

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Tommy,

Thanks Guys...would you say the mc-8 is leaps and bounds above the mc-1? or even the avm20?
If Logic 7 is a "must have" feature, then the MC-8 would be your best bet, followed by the MC-1, over any other manufacturer's processor.

Everyone's preference is different. We replaced an MC-1 with the AVM-20 and we wouldn't switch back in a second. OTOH, the MC-8 was not available when I auditioned the AVM-20 over a year ago, so I couldn't say how the two would compare.

Michael

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I just traded my MC-1 for the MC-8. I thought the MC-1 was a step above the Ref 30 for HT and music with L7. the MC-8 is a whole different ball game. To my ears a big improvment over the MC-1 better seperation in the front channels,better surround steering, more aggressive surrounds and the DAC's are a step above the MC-1. I have a Von Schweikert 7.1 set-up and the MC-8 breathed new life into the speaks. The noise floor was low on the MC-1 and is the same or better on the 8. I pick up much more detail on the 8. It has the latest in sound formats and more flexibility in crossovers. As you can tell I'm estatic about the MC-8:D I have had it a week and still can't get the smile off my face! This and the PB2 has greatly improved my system.
Steve

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I think I'm taking the drive tomorrow morning to listen to a few processors...with the lex mc-8 on the top of my list..hopefully I can get in and take a listen to a few others for curiosity:) (he is a krell/arcam yada yada dealer...so he has some other goodies as well. if all goes well, my marantz 8200, which is a damn good piece for the money, will be on the trade block:)...don't get me wrong..this thing is nice, but I have a few bucks NOW...and I may not later lol...:) thanks for the input btw! Hopefully I'll finally get to hear the logic 7...man, why can't anyone in my area be a home theater/music person...and buy "other" things for comparison????....:)

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

MSB might be able to mod a MC-1 to add a 5.1 input to it for $385. Otherwise the Sony 6 channel pre-amp is an option.

Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks