What's new

"Levity" Billy Bob Thornton (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Is anyone else looking forward to the new Billy Bob Thornton film Levity? It was the opening film at the Sundance Film Festival & from what I've read it looks to be a pretty interetsting film.
http://www.premiere.com/article.asp?...&page_number=1
This is the premise of Levity, Solomon's directing debut. Best known for writing such comedies as Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Men in Black, Solomon based the story in part on his college experience tutoring a teenager at a maximum security prison; the boy had been convicted of murder. "He was trying to grapple with the idea that he had taken somebody's life," Solomon says. Like Thornton's character, Manual, "he kept a photograph of his victim-and that detail really stayed with me."
The film finds Manual, upon his release, tracking down the victim's older sister (Hunter) to apologize. "He's obsessed with her forgiveness," Thornton says, "which in a way is selfish, and he knows that." Hunter adds that "all of the characters are searching for redemption in some way," from a self-destructive club kid (Dunst) whom Manual encounters, to an unordained minister (Freeman), who runs a soup kitchen and enlists Manual's help as a parking lot attendant. "This is a movie about isolated people," Freeman says. His character allows teens to park for free on his property, in exchange for a 15-minute sermon.
Solomon and cinematographer Roger Deakins (The Man Who Wasn't There) shot the $7 million film in Montreal, partly per Thornton's request (his soon-to-be-ex-wife Angelina Jolie was shooting Beyond Borders there) and partly to enhance the film's tone. "Manual is a ghost, really," Thornton says. "I'm not sure how audiences will respond to him, but I hope they'll sympathize, because I think we should all be there for a lost soul."
-Brooke Hauser

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
"Is anyone else looking forward to the new Billy Bob Thornton film Levity? "

I guess not.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Just saw this thread today. Robert, I look forward to EVERY Billy Bob movie! Though some of his movies leave something to be desired (i.e. Monster's Ball), he always delivers the goods with his characters. IMO, Billy Bob is one of the most talented actors alive today.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Sounds interesting.

Based on the thread title, I thought perhaps he wrote and/or directed this one, but thats not the case.

He is one of my favorite actors working today.

Nick C.

Second Unit
lotsa films shot in Canada these days...

Thornton and Hunter have been pretty quiet this year, so glad to see them doing a project with (some) attention...not sure bout the writer/director Solomon though, looking at his IMDB resume

speaking of Sundance, i'm anticpating "Pieces of April" a family comedy with Katie Holmes, the directing debut of Peter Hedges, screenwriter of "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "About a Boy" as well as "The United States of Leland" with Don Cheadle and Kevin Spacey...both picked up at Sundance

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this at Sundance and the movie was so slow and boring with Billy Bob giving a completely monotone performance. It was the biggest disapointment by far at Sundance.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks