Levels problems with preferences b/w movies and music

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jason Long, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Jason Long

Jason Long Auditioning

Hello everyone! This is my first post so go easy. If this is in the wrong location, I'm sorry. Also, I searched the forums all day hunting something like this before posting. Hopefully, someone out there can give me some ideas.

I have just purchased my HT equipment and started setting it all up. After setting the levels on all six (using 5.1) speakers, I have a very even sound from my reference seat while listening to SACD's and CD's. But, my preference is to have that "I've invested more money in my system than my car" kind of bass in my music. To get this type of feel I have to well exceed the reference levels on the SPL meter for the subwoofer or crank the volume up too loud to enjoy it.

Other options are I can run the gain on the subwoofer amp up, but then I'll be turning it down every time I watch a movie. I can bump up the sub level on the receiver, but same problem. If I just leave it up then the scenes in movies where the subwoofer would normally shine might just drown out the rest of the sounds. Essentially, I'm trying to tackle two different monsters with one solution it seems.

I will gladly accept any suggestions and hopefully someday soon be able to help as well.

For your info to help with the post, my equipment list involved with this scenario is:

RECEIVER: Onkyo TXNR901
    SPEAKERS: Infinity Primus 360 (front), C25 (center), 160 (rear surr.) and a SVS PB12 Plus/2

* With what I've read on this forum and that kind of sub, I shouldn't be having this dilemma should I?

2. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Many receivers allow you to set the sub gain differently for different inputs (or at least different input types), but maybe your Onkyo is different.

For instance, on my Pioneer, I have the sub set few dB hotter for stereo mode (CD player) than I do for "standard" mode (TV, DVD, etc.).

In any case, your preference for increased bass when listening to music does not reflect a flaw in the subwoofer; the sub is faithfully reproducing sound based on the signal it's given.

3. Jason Long

Jason Long Auditioning

Thanks Nathan!

After reading your reply I have noticed that my receiver allows me to set the levels for mulitchannel input differently than the "set levels" for each speaker. Changing those has greatly improved the sound.

I am very pleased with the sub and I plan to comment on just how much I am enjoying it soon. I was just frustrated with having to constantly (manually) adjust these settings. I am completely automating my home, not just the HT, and this was a big hold-up for me. Finding that the multichannel inputs were independent of the digital input settings has helped tremendously. Thanks again!