Letting receiver do component level pass-thru

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Tom.Rodgers, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Tom.Rodgers

Tom.Rodgers Auditioning

All -

I have always been a little wary with taking very expensive DVD or HD Sat video component level signal thru the receiver. Do you think it is OK? Money is not an issue on this question and I already have Harmony for my remote that deals with everything - so...

Specific to me:

Receiver - Denon AVR-3300

Do I get true pass of signal?

Tom

2. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I wouldn't see why not

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

The purist might tell you no, but, honestly I don't think anyone can tell the difference. Besides, the convenience of not switching inputs on my TV is well worth any miniscule signal loss.... if there is any. [​IMG]

4. Tom.Rodgers

Tom.Rodgers Auditioning

I agree. At some point we should say that ease of ues should count for something.

Tom

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

This begs the question - how much do you pay for the video signal? (Most of us pay for the television).

Look at the component video bandwidth specifications on that reciever. You want to see text like: 90 Mhz bandwidth or better.

The trick is this: 1080 video tops out at 35 Mhz. You want 3 or 4 times this amount in bandwidth along the entire chain (cables->reciever->cables) to handle the sudden changes in video.

Many recievers with component video switching have a bandwidth of 10-15 Mhz which is fine...for Component Video (max freqency of 4 Mhz)

Then, just make sure you have good connections and you should be fine.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm running component through my yammie with no issues. it's so good that when i compare it to my dvd's dvi connection (straight to tv) the difference is very very slight.

i bet if you have someone switch around the connections so you don't know if it's going straight to the tv or through the receiver first, you won't be able to tell the diff. if you do, then the solution is obvious. [​IMG]

i say go through the receiver. as already mentioned, the convenience is just so worth it.

7. Tom.Rodgers

Tom.Rodgers Auditioning

I have decided to go on a use the receiver for component switching. However, I do have DVI and HDMI so I am going to wait until much later to decide if that would really make a big difference.

Thanks!!!!

Tom

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Yes you do get true passthrough (the A/V receiver does not process the video) but not necessarily correct (the 75 ohm impedance issue) nor complete (the bandwidth issue).

Most HDTV's autoselect the incoming component video source scan rate (480p, 1080i, etc.) in which case you have no problem connecting both the DVD player and the HDTV source to the receiver and connect the receiver to one of the jack sets of the TV. But double check the TV instructions to be sure.

Generally there is no problem with the needed 75 ohm impedance for the video signal paths through the receiver. Inaccuracy may result in ghosts. You almost always pay a price in dollars or picture quality in exchange for the switching convenience of using an A/V receiver. Even the RCA connections used by the cables are said to be not exactly 75 ohms, the so called BNC (twist on) connections, rare on consumer equipment, are a bit better, and when using a receiver, you use more cables and connections.

Why you want 90 MHz bandwidth or thereabouts?
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/whyten.htm